Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

River Deveron 2015
« on: 17/03/2015 at 17:50 »
I'll kick this years Deveron post off :z16

I got out today for a wee bit of prospecting for Gold. Lots of wandering about looking at some very nice water.
About 1pm the flies started to trickle off mostly Large dark olives, the hatch lasted for about 1hr, the second half of the hatch was dominated by these bad boys

I seemed to manage to find myself in a good spot just as the fish discovered there were olives hatching (about 15mins after they started to hatch), some lovely fish noseing the flies, tricky to cast but i got myself close enough to get a decent drift with a size 12 DHE.

I missed the first rise :roll Hooked the second which broke the hook :shock and i landed the third :z16

Then after just 20mins the fish stopped rising and i had no more offers.
Still my first broonie for the season and it was a good 2lber, so i'm chuffed to bits and looking forward to next week.

Cheers

Sandy

Colin Sunley

Re: River Deveron 2015
« Reply #1 on: 17/03/2015 at 19:01 »
There's no stopping you this season. Most haven't even had a fish yet and there rolling off your line

Allan Liddle

« Reply #2 on: 22/03/2015 at 19:45 »
Great stuff Sandy, bad luck on the trophy, hopefully you get a few more chances soon.

Opened my account last Monday with a modest fish around 12 - 14 ounces then lost a sea troot kelt just after, both on size12 DHE in a very sparse and brief hatch of olives.

Roll on next week.   :z16

Andy Finlay

« Reply #3 on: 23/03/2015 at 21:22 »
Decided to have a go on the Deveron following a conversation with Sandy. Went up today as not much free time for the next few weeks, unfortunately for me it was pretty cold with a down wind and having rained yesterday the water was seriously cold. Spent the day wandering up and down the beat which to be honest wasn't a bad thing as having never been there before I'd certainly say some promising water for later in the year when things warm up. Very little by way of fly life and no rising fish. Did manage one brownie on a nymph towards the end of the day which was in the 1lb region so season off to a start and bring on the warmer weather.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 26/03/2015 at 20:22 »
I've spent the last couple of days exploring some more beats.

Yesterday was hard going for a couple of nice fish, but i did find some lovely water and the olives trickled off in reasonable numbers for a decent spell, just didn't see much rising :z8

Today however was a much better day, cracking hatch started about 1pm and there were still a few flies coming off at 4.30, but the fish were looking up for most of the afternoon, great fun targeting fish although they wouldn't look at the DHE, so it was a day for the CDC rusty olive spider.

Had quite a few bonny fish this one pretty fat for March, so who ate all the March Brown Pies

And this was my biggest of the 2 days and another 2lbr :z16 beautiful Bronze colour with red fins, the pictures just don't do it any justice.

Nice eye shot selfie :z12

Hopefully that is the start proper, for all you guys out over the next few days, Tightlines and trust me i'll be thinking of you :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 26/03/2015 at 21:18 »
Great stuff Sandy :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 26/03/2015 at 22:34 »
Yup i'll be one of 'em Sandy  :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 01/04/2015 at 23:24 »
Despite the lack of trophies for me i hace enjoyed excellent sport between the gusts especially when the olives have been out.
Best fish so far is a noteable 2lb 2oz

But the rest have amost all been a pound or slightly over which isn't too shabby at all

Between the hatches my new nymph line's been christened and fish have shown a real attraction to some of my wee jig nymphs.  So far so good

Allan Liddle

« Reply #8 on: 04/04/2015 at 00:25 »
Another 11 today and at last the trophies were out to play.
Managed a belter of 4lb 1.5oz followed immediately with a cracking 3lb 1oz fish, add to this a 2lb 6oz and 2lb 3oz along with a few around the pound and a cracking day was had.

Hoping to get out again tomorrow.

Photos to follow.

Allan

Iain Cameron

« Reply #9 on: 04/04/2015 at 09:05 »
superb! two TFs in a day is a grand day

Allan Liddle

« Reply #10 on: 05/04/2015 at 09:10 »
Another one yesterday and three over two, one just 1 1/2 oz short of the magical three.  I know Iain had a belter 3 3/4 pounder as well.
Strange thing was a cracking MB hatch and hardly a fish touched 'em, same on Friday  :z8

Iain Cameron

« Reply #11 on: 05/04/2015 at 10:31 »
Around 4pm, there was a flurry of March Browns, enough of them to suddenly get the fish looking at them. I was about to cross a pool when it started popping, 4 or 5 fish nailing MBs. I nailed a solid fish... turned out to be a 2lb sea trout kelt. Duh!

did have a 3lb 12oz brown earlier in the day when the fish were keyed on olives, which was nice. (I had a look Sandy, it didn't have your fly in its jaws...)

still having issues uploading pics, i'll try and see if I can post one
http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2662

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 15/04/2015 at 19:01 »
A Lovely trip to the Deveron today with some good mates, always a great way to spend the day.

There were a few fish rising when we got there at 11 and this continued in wee bursts right through to about 2.30. the odd march brown still coming off at 4 but only the occasional rise.
When the rise kicked in the fish were very free to come up and seemed to enjoy a nice dark DHE.
We had a few....

With some real nice ones mixed in, even if they were a bit too eager to get back to the flies, for the camera

One or two wee trophies too.

not all of our Fishing buddies today were quite so camera shy though, we spent a good while watching this young fella rooting around and eating stuff, he was happy to pose for the camera too, i got some of it on video, but the quality isn't that great, i'll try to edit it and post it a bit.

All in a great day and a fantastic river.

Cheers

Sandy

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #13 on: 15/04/2015 at 19:31 »
it didn't want to leave the Stickman !  :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 15/04/2015 at 21:19 »
The wee video as promised, not great unfortunatley :X1, but it was a great experience.
Sorry about the wind

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/125073949" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p> from Alexander Nelson on Vimeo.</p>

Cheers

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com