Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

stretchy28

Looking for some advice please.
« on: 08/03/2015 at 05:45 »
Im looking to get into salmon fishing this year and I bought a Scierra wasp rod it came as a kit with a reel which was fully loaded with 220 meters of backing 27.5 meters of running line and 10.5 meters of shooting head and also a poly leader which are all floating. On reading up on this type of fishing it says about getting the fly down deep so to do this do I need to buy a sinking shooting head to match the set up or just buy 10 foot sinking poly leaders ??? ???

To give an indication for the waters I will be fishing I have been looking at the council beats on the Don 

Hamish Young

Re: Looking for some advice please.
« Reply #1 on: 08/03/2015 at 08:05 »
Arguably all you need to get you going is a set of Polyleaders in a choice of densities have a look here:
http://www.fishingmegastore.com/airflo-polyleader-sets~5615.html
I'd opt for the 10' leaders myself.
Is a meter the same as a metre :? :wink
H

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 08/03/2015 at 09:06 »

Is a meter the same as a metre :? :wink

:z4 :z4 :z4

Colin Sunley

« Reply #3 on: 08/03/2015 at 09:31 »
Good find,  I have the same thing,  Top-Tip, Mark your lines or pockets with identification somehow, once you take them out the packets to put them into the wallet you wont remember which is which.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 08/03/2015 at 10:20 »
good point. the different densities come in different colours so a colour reference chart in the pouch should suffice.
but, i just put them back in the empty slot where they came from....  :z4 :z4 :z4

stretchy28

« Reply #5 on: 08/03/2015 at 23:40 »
 I suppose a meter is the same as a metre not once but 3 blinking times what a doughball :X1 :X1 :z4 :z4 but in my defence it was 11 hours into a night shift I typed the question :z5 next time I will be going over the spelling :X2 :X2

Cheers for the information Hamish much appreciated  :z16 :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 09/03/2015 at 07:40 »
I was out on Friday on the Don, and as Hamish says, Polyleaders (well, Rio Versileaders) were enough to be touching bottom occasionally. (I say!!)

I started with a 3.9 ins a second and a 1" copper tube but I was a little too high so went back through with a 5.6 ins a second and just grazed the gravel every now and then.

Heavy flies also help...but keep your nylon short when using the fast sinking tips..about 3 feet, else the fly rides high.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com