Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Re: Alexander Grant memorial spey casting competition
« Reply #15 on: 04/09/2015 at 10:17 »
Good luck to all competitors.   :z16 :z16

Be interesting to hear what lines come out tops. In fact all the data will be interesting   Rods, Rod sizes,Lines.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: 04/09/2015 at 10:27 »
.............. Will anybody be brave enough to cast a Greenheart?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 04/09/2015 at 12:59 »

Alexander Grant memorial Spey casting competition going well, guys taking a break and practicing before round 2Leading...

Posted by Scott Mackenzie on Friday, September 4, 2015

Alexander Grant memorial Spey casting competition going well, guys taking a break and practicing before round 2
Leading the completion after round one is
Heir Hansen 53m
Vidar Ness. 51.5m
Andrew Toft 50.25
Jarle Strandberg 48.0 m
Martin Kiely. 45.0
Michael O Kane. 44.0m
Second round starts shortly

Hamish Young

« Reply #18 on: 04/09/2015 at 18:39 »
Bloody good fun today :cool:

I'm lying 9th or 10th (not sure which) after the second round having managed 41.5m (a disappointing 45 yards in old money) in my second round of qualifying. To put that in perspective - in non-competition conditions - I have done 52m in practice - 56yds.
There are some astonishingly great casters out at this event and it's been a privilege to be in among them. Not a snowballs chance in hell of making the final, but I'll try my best  :z2 Currently on Barrio DH15 competition head which had 4 feet taken out of it today - now goes like a bullet, just the caster attached to it really needs to sharpen up as it was a steep learning curve this morning - fine tuning your outfit during the allotted casting time is not ideal :! Not happy with my performance thus far - should have entered earlier, practised etc - but I am nevertheless ahead of some internationally well known casters which gives me a degree of self-satisfaction that is very very hard to describe :z7 :z4

Have helped a few others out with gear/spares and I've been delighted at the great atmosphere and camaraderie amongst all the casters from all over the world - it's great to see.
Looking forward to the final  :z12

Seen a few forum members including Allan and Magnus - maybe more tomorrow :?

H :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 04/09/2015 at 20:06 »
Excellent ,,,,,, well done Hamish :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #20 on: 04/09/2015 at 23:08 »
Keep at it H  :z16
Do or do not, there is no try... :z7
And there was coverage on STV tonight which is surely the first time for casting. Mind you it was a 5 minute walk from the STV office so it was an easy Friday  :z7

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #21 on: 05/09/2015 at 21:58 »
More of an update tomorrow, but I didn't make the final. 9th overall in the company made me quite happy though :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 05/09/2015 at 23:35 »
Great stuff Hamish :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #23 on: 06/09/2015 at 10:00 »
Well, that was two days that went by just far too quickly :!

I have never entered a Spey casting competition before and having neither fished nor seriously practised prior to the event I confess I was a smidgen worried about making a complete and utter arse of myself.

The first day sort of revealed that it was really quite unlikely that I'd make the final 6 casters for the men’s final and I didn't fancy having a quick sex change in time to win the ladies, so Saturday was always going to be more  a day for the 'craic' and to see the final. That said, in the difficult (bloody awful, actually) wind conditions of the morning I did beat 2 of the Norwegians and Andrew Toft with a truly mega cast of 32.5 metres....... yes folks, it was that windy  :z10 Even worse the wind was pretty much in your face the whole time so if you got a cast off that might have gone 45+ metres seeing it getting blown back at you (like a bullet, didn't have chance to move, couldn’t protect myself, fly hit me straight between the eyes....) was demoralising for every caster.

Fortunately, for the finals, the wind abated and actually became slightly favourable as the afternoon wore on.

The ladies final was contested by just two entrants. Ally Bremner an accomplished caster and instructor from the borders and Donna O'Sullivan from near San Francisco. Donna is a hugely respected instructor and internationally known tournament caster, she is a member at the Golden Gate Casting Club in the 'States which hosts the prestigious Speyorama event. Although diminutive in stature Donna's casting is mighty! Ally was up against it and whilst they traded best distances across the three qualifying sessions it was ultimately Donna that prevailed in the final.

In the mens final there was Martin Kiely from Ireland, Lee Cummings from Cumbria, Jarle Strandberg from Norway, Andrew Toft from Scotland, Vidar Næss from Norway and also from Norway Geir Hansen who just happens to be the world record holder with the 15' rods in use for the competition. I should maybe mention of the 6 casters in the men’s final that all 6 have been or are world record holders and international competition winners.... a prestigious group in anyone’s opinion.

The final was run in reverse order with Martin casting first then Lee, Jarle, Andrew, Vidar and finally Geir. All had occasionally testing conditions in their allotted 5 minutes and, probably, Lee more than any one of them. The distances were down on the Friday qualifying but ultimately Geir won with a cast of 52 metres. The other two Norwegians were tied on 46 metres and had to have a ‘cast off’ to sort out second and third places, Vidar won that battle with 47.5 metres.

After a quick series of photos and an initial prize giving everyone went to decompress (or just go fishing!) until the formal reception at the Inverness Council Town House in the evening with the Provost hosting. A speech and the formal handing over of the Quaich made for each of the winners of the casting competition were made by the great-grandson of Alexander Grant. In a nice touch all the casting competition entrants took away a fine bottle of malt whisky – I may have had a glass when I got home. The reception formally closed the inaugural Scottish Salmon Festival which, I have to say, appears to have been quite a success. I didn’t see all the stuff going on but took the time to meet and greet folk and friends who were either tying flies in the main marquee or manning stands from fisheries trusts and other organisations. I spent some time with the guys from Marine Harvest and we had some frank discussions about the damage to the ecology some fish farms have caused, the sea lice issue and other ‘stuff’. Of particular interest to me was the sea lice issue, work that I was involved in 28 years ago – the introduction of wrasse to fish farm cages to remove sea lice from salmon – appears to have taken a major step forward recently. I’ll watch with interest.

All in I think it was a cracking event, a few niggles here and there(certainly in terms of advertising, which was dire to be honest) but the work put in by the Inverness Angling Club was significant and they should be credited for doing a stand-out job. It’s plausible a Salmon Festival will be held again and I think there’s an enthusiasm amongst the club committee to see a number of casting competitions held again with an international trophy competition as the flagship event. We’ll see.

I met some great folk, made some new friends and generally had a blast!

Some pics to follow once they're sorted out.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #24 on: 06/09/2015 at 12:53 »
should have gone for the quick sex change !  :z4 :z4 :z4
great report Hamish. thanks for sharing it with us  :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #25 on: 06/09/2015 at 18:15 »
So let's get this straight.
You were ninth in the competition. The top six were / are world record holders / international competition winners.
FFS Hamish! Bloody well done!  :z14 :z14 :z14 :z14 :z14 :z14 :z14 :z14 :z14 :z14 :z14 :z14
And that whisky better not be finished before I get back up or all adoration and respect will be right out the fecking window  :z7

Hamish Young

« Reply #26 on: 06/09/2015 at 20:26 »
And that whisky better not be finished before I get back up or all adoration and respect will be right out the fecking window  :z7

Errrrrr  :oops  :z7

Euan Innes

« Reply #27 on: 06/09/2015 at 20:51 »
None of my nice "collection" for you then you casting God.  :X

Hamish Young

« Reply #28 on: 07/09/2015 at 08:05 »
Ha :! There'll be more than a dram left it you make it before the end of the season  :z13

Allan Liddle

« Reply #29 on: 07/09/2015 at 22:43 »
Crackin event and a few flees tied, even managed a salmon pattern or two  :wink

Well done H and congrats to the prize winners. :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com