Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bill Wood

Midge Tip Lines
« on: 17/02/2015 at 20:04 »
Hi, I am a newbie and have been fishing/lure bashing at Lochter for the last 5 months. Wanting to get into nymphs and buzzers etc for the summer season and  looking at buying a 7 wt floating line with a slow intermediate  midge tip. Any advice please if this is really necessary.

Or would my existing floating line fitted with an intermediate leader do much  the same?

Bill

Hamish Young

Re: Midge Tip Lines
« Reply #1 on: 17/02/2015 at 22:46 »
Depending on what your current fly line is, I'd probably stick with that and a selection of polyleaders.
Others, however, might suggest otherwise.

H

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 18/02/2015 at 07:19 »
A midge tip takes the flies down a little and helps slow the swing of the fly line in the wind if fishing with a big bow. A short 5/6ft Intermediate poly leader will do the same job at a 6th of the price.

You could also just fish a weighted fly on the point to drop the flies a bit deeper.

Colin Sunley

« Reply #3 on: 18/02/2015 at 10:08 »
all the above at fine,
Alternately you could purchase a Intermediate fly line and put on a spare spool if you have one, 
I have a few that I use for Stillwater,  Float/slow sink tip., float/ fast sink tip & Intermediate, With the Intermediate being the one I will use the most.
Don't by full Sinking lines,  Chances are you will never use them on still waters,

Bill Wood

« Reply #4 on: 18/02/2015 at 19:52 »

Thanks for advice. Will probably just buy an intermediate tip for my fly line  and buy a decent floating line later( Current one is an un unknown Airflo that I got with the Elite kit)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 23/02/2015 at 07:19 »
Don't by full Sinking lines,  Chances are you will never use them on still waters,

I use a mid and even a fast sinker with buzzers, especially from a boat :)

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 23/02/2015 at 10:42 »
I use a mid and even a fast sinker with buzzers, especially from a boat :)
agree. i can't imagine going to stillwaters without an array of sub-surface lines simply because fish are often below what a floating line/sink tip will allow.
however, as Bill is new to this life will be a lot easier with a floater and sink tips for the moment.
sinking lines need a little casting adjusting to use them well. that can be step 2  :z16
cheers,
marc

Colin Sunley

« Reply #7 on: 23/02/2015 at 12:50 »
Now that's were my fault would lie in casting them well :z4 :z4,
but then If I new I was going to be on a boat or in the sea where there is deeper water then sure sinking line would come into play. 
I just don't see the reason to be using sinking lines at Lochter where Bill was fishing , intermediate line would be ample, sinking line would just be trawling weed in.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #8 on: 23/02/2015 at 12:59 »
but an intermediate is a sinking line....  :X2  :shock  :roll  :z4  :z4  :z4

and as for the casting part, any non-floating line is thinner than its floating counterpart in the same line class. this makes them go faster (less air resistance) so, adapting the cast is as simple as slowing things down a bit to get the same results as with a floater. no magic there but a good thing to bare in mind when switching from floater to subsurface.
cheers,
marc

Colin Sunley

« Reply #9 on: 23/02/2015 at 20:01 »
but an intermediate is a sinking line....  :X2  :shock  :roll  :z4  :z4  :z4
lol I knew that  :X1 :z8

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #10 on: 24/02/2015 at 10:29 »
haha !    :z4 :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 24/02/2015 at 13:37 »
Now that's were my fault would lie in casting them well :z4 :z4,
but then If I new I was going to be on a boat or in the sea where there is deeper water then sure sinking line would come into play. 
I just don't see the reason to be using sinking lines at Lochter where Bill was fishing , intermediate line would be ample, sinking line would just be trawling weed in.

Fast sink line and a Boobie ;)

I used to use a fast sink at Loch of Loriston and strip back a lure...  :X2 :X2 Pretty shallow loch...but a turbo strip..lol

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com