Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Re: River Ythan 2015
« Reply #15 on: 01/11/2015 at 12:25 »
Any one got any info how the Ythan did this season. Just wondering like if the Nets off made a big difference  :z8 :z8.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: 01/11/2015 at 13:36 »
I can only speak for myself.

After April I saw very few fish, although I did not really fish it very seriously (too much gold to hunt down elsewhere).
This last month (October) has been nothing like last year, I had a few small finnock 8-10" and didn't really see any decent fish moving, never mind catching any. Last year was phenomenal fishing with a lot of sea-trout as well as finnock, but this year diddly squat :z8 who knows, I didn't get much in 2013 either, despite investing a decent amount of time , so it could just be cyclical, or the fish have pushed through the river and headed upstream without hanging around in my bit.
The last two weeks should have been really good, the tides were big and we had rain to bring the water up.

Having spoken to a few of the other guys, I believe a few fish have been caught during the year but it has been very slow and the only folk who picked up fish were those dedicating a lot of time to the cause.

It will be interesting to see if anyone has different experiences to post.

Sandy

« Reply #17 on: 01/11/2015 at 14:07 »
I can only speak for myself.

After April I saw very few fish, although I did not really fish it very seriously (too much gold to hunt down elsewhere).
This last month (October) has been nothing like last year, I had a few small finnock 8-10" and didn't really see any decent fish moving, never mind catching any. Last year was phenomenal fishing with a lot of sea-trout as well as finnock, but this year diddly squat :z8 who knows, I didn't get much in 2013 either, despite investing a decent amount of time , so it could just be cyclical, or the fish have pushed through the river and headed upstream without hanging around in my bit.
The last two weeks should have been really good, the tides were big and we had rain to bring the water up.

Having spoken to a few of the other guys, I believe a few fish have been caught during the year but it has been very slow and the only folk who picked up fish were those dedicating a lot of time to the cause.

It will be interesting to see if anyone has different experiences to post.

Sandy

Aye it seems most north east rivers have had a poor Salmon run the Don was very poor in October. Of course i forgot the nets were off anyway it was USAN who were just going to start up again so at least that lot wont be around for a while.

The Seal situation at the estuary is  horrendous  they must be doing a lot of damage to the Salmon and Sea trout.

Here is hoping the good times return to the Ythan i was lucky enough to see it at its best in the 70s 80s The fishing was nothing short of amazing then a hated fishing we that wreched terrors in estuary tho.

Thanks for the update  :z16

:z18

Duncan McRae

« Reply #18 on: 02/11/2015 at 14:49 »
Hi Allabootthetroot

I found that the river fishing was very poor this year although it was still enjoyable being out in the fine evenings.Put in a fair bit of effort for a couple of sea trout and a Grilse.
The big problem for me was that all my favourite pools were choked with weed.I've never seen it quite as bad.

Estuary fishing was very mixed for me going from a tremendous June to the worst July/August that I have had personally.However,some rods were doing a bit better.
The catch records show how poor things have been generally.628 seatrout recorded against a five year average of 911.This drop despite the estuary being open for all and as heavily fished as I've seen it since before the beat was time shared.

Duncan

« Reply #19 on: 02/11/2015 at 18:22 »
Hi Allabootthetroot

I found that the river fishing was very poor this year although it was still enjoyable being out in the fine evenings.Put in a fair bit of effort for a couple of sea trout and a Grilse.
The big problem for me was that all my favourite pools were choked with weed.I've never seen it quite as bad.

Estuary fishing was very mixed for me going from a tremendous June to the worst July/August that I have had personally.However,some rods were doing a bit better.
The catch records show how poor things have been generally.628 seatrout recorded against a five year average of 911.This drop despite the estuary being open for all and as heavily fished as I've seen it since before the beat was time shared.

Duncan

A never realized the estuary was open to all again that's good not really my thing like although i only fished with terrors a couple  times. would like to have a go with a fly rod tho.

:z18

Duncan McRae

« Reply #20 on: 03/11/2015 at 13:53 »
A never realized the estuary was open to all again that's good not really my thing like although i only fished with terrors a couple  times. would like to have a go with a fly rod tho.

I didn't like fishing the terrors either.
I take it it's the traditional method of fishing the terror with a spinning rod ,wye weight and a couple of 'flies' on a trace that you refer to?
You should certainly have a go with the fly.Once you take your first sea trout from the salt water,you'll come back again and again.It's truly addictive!

Duncan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com