Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

River Ythan 2015
« on: 16/02/2015 at 11:44 »
Well i got out this morning for my first cast of the season.

Spent a wee while on the river, water colour and height is pretty promising :z16

A few wee knocks on the SSS and then i got my first fish for 2015 :z18

An 18" Sea trout kelt in pretty good condition, a quick photo and he went back strongly

Not a bad way to spend the morning :z3

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

Re: River Ythan 2015
« Reply #1 on: 16/02/2015 at 13:24 »
Damn sight better looking than my Sea Trout Kelt off the Dee...

:oops

Colin Sunley

« Reply #2 on: 16/02/2015 at 14:01 »
Good start gents, well done,   

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 25/02/2015 at 12:36 »
Been out a few more times and had a couple more Sea trout Kelts

However after loosing what i though looked like a nice finnock last week, i managed to land one this morning about 3/4lb :z16 So there are some finnock in the river system, i don't think there are large amounts as i haven't had many knocks, but there are some bonny fresh fish in the river :z18 Some great shades of Blue. All on the SSS and the 6wt switch so a decent scrap as well:z16

Cheers

Sandy

Colin Sunley

« Reply #4 on: 25/02/2015 at 20:03 »
SSS ? I know am going to kick myself here

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 25/02/2015 at 21:11 »
Hi Colin

A well chewed SSS  "sunburst shrimpy spider"

:z18

Sandy

Colin Sunley

« Reply #6 on: 25/02/2015 at 21:34 »
Thanks Sandy would never have finish my crossword

Julius

« Reply #7 on: 10/03/2015 at 12:51 »
Guys can you advise on various beats available with your recommendations on them please ?

i have tried ellon town beat but i'd prefer something a bit further out of town  :roll

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 10/03/2015 at 16:31 »
Hi Julius

To my knowledge Ellon town water, Newburgh and Fyvie are the only bits you can get Day tickets for, the rest of the river is either Private, Syndicated or part of the ADAA.
If you are in the ADAA then you have a lot of water from Ardlethen up to above Methlick to explore, otherwise its not the easiest river to get access too.
At this time of the year the lower stretches fish best, so Ellon is probably your best bet, you just have to live with the people, i'm afraid.

Hope that helps :z18

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 10/03/2015 at 16:45 »
You can also get day tickets for Methlick water from the shop in the village.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Thornton

« Reply #10 on: 11/03/2015 at 16:47 »
That's correct Mike. As far as I am aware the tickets from the shop covers the Haddo House public water. ie. The right bank from Gight down to The Tangland Bridge. Day and season tickets are probably available. This is the Methlick club water. Jim Adie will keep you right here.
   The estate also sells a limited number of syndicate season tickets for what used to be known as the "private" water. ie. The right bank from the Tangland Bridge all the way down to the Ardlethen water
   Hope this may help.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 16/03/2015 at 15:41 »
Well i've been out a few times over the last couple of weeks and had a few of these

All on the SSS fished on a sinking tip.

However this afternoon i went down after a loooong shift at work and decided to give the Epic a wee exercise before tomorrow's Broonie trip. Again i used a short sinking tip and the SSS my first pull resulted in a rather bonny Finnock about 13"

Pretty soon though a few of these started to hatch, woohoo.

and a few of the finnock decided they looked nice and tasty, well i had a few dries in my box so i put on a nice size 12 DHE and despite the 5ft sinking leader and a 4ft tippet i proceded to land a few very fine finnock on the dryfly

Turned out to be my best day of the season so far, so now fully pumped for tomorrows treasure hunt

Amazing what can happen with the wrong line, wrong leader and no floatant on a cold miserable day in march :cool:.

Cheers

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 24/03/2015 at 16:06 »
Was out again this afternoon, giving my newly finished bamboo Smallstream rod a chance to find its feet on a river it is designed for.

Lovely hatch coming off and plenty Finnock in residence willing to take off the top. I had great fun catching a few of these with a size 12 DHE

Mostly all between 9" and 11" today so smaller than previously, but i did get one about 14" and then i got moved on and the ensuing scrap had the wee 7ft 4wt bamboo bending for all its worth, but it managed admirably and i netted the biggest Kelt i've had this year a Seatrout one of 20" not in bad condition either apart from the recent cormorant mark on his head.

not quite what i intended when i went "Smallstream" fishing but a whole lot of fun and very exhilerating :z16 Well impressed with the wee rod and a lot of fun with the fish to boot. What more can you ask for, even in the midst of hailstones :z7

Cheers

Sandy

Noel Kelly

« Reply #13 on: 24/03/2015 at 17:40 »
 :z8 like! Where is the like button gone? Ah I see Will has got it!

Allan Liddle

« Reply #14 on: 31/03/2015 at 14:06 »
Fantastic stuff Sandy  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com