Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter McCallum

Re: British Angling Legends?
« Reply #30 on: 05/09/2007 at 21:59 »

I have another nominee though, for writing, catching fish and generally being a great angler, Chris Yates.

Sandy

Definetly in the top echelon, and his beardy mete Bob who's second name escapes me or the moment. Also Hugh Miles who was the inspiration behind 'A Passion For Angling' as well as the cameraman par excellence, they all made what is probably the best TV angling programme (IMHO) tick

Hares Lug - this is starrting to get embarrassing  :oops

Peter

Ah ha it's Bob James - see not as old and daft as I thought. :z17

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #31 on: 06/09/2007 at 11:57 »
Go on then Moffty, give us a topic. :roll

At this time of the year its kinda nice to get people starting something, we can discuss.
It keeps us looking when we should be fishing :z4

Sandy

moffty

« Reply #32 on: 06/09/2007 at 18:16 »
Cheers Sandy

Let me dwell on it and think of something suitable  ;)

Steve

Jim Doyle

« Reply #33 on: 06/09/2007 at 21:44 »
Bob James peter, Have at one time or another fished with quite afew of the mentioned anglers, ok not skues but a good few of the others, most are ordinary guys who can fish and are to some extent good self publiists, after all they are or were trying to make a living from the sport.  Have seen most of the best tiers and would like to throwDave Mcphails name into the pot. He,s a rare tier who can tie flies to catch fish or flies to catch fishermen, best I,ve seen.  I think theres olny one real "Legend" and thats Richard Walker, as for stars thats a different matter, we all shine at one time or another, so take a look in the mirror, in my book if you care about this great passion of ours you are a star.  just my thoughts jim

Peter McCallum

« Reply #34 on: 07/09/2007 at 19:12 »
Good one Jim, Davies fully dressed flys are unbeleivable, his trout flies simple but deadly. An excellent suggestion.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #35 on: 08/09/2007 at 00:19 »
Yes, great stuff, the list is growing nicely, thanks everybody  :z16

And many thanks for the kind comments Irvine  :oops

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Andy Wren

« Reply #36 on: 08/09/2007 at 12:55 »
Just to add to the stars
Falkus who inspired me thriugh his writing to go out and catch wild fish,and then taught me what little I know about spey casting .
Stan headley who taught me the proper way to catch wild browns and tourists from a drifting boat ,his flys are nice but too tidy  :roll
Theo Pike who got me into dragging trolleys out of londons Wandle
My mates to many to mention that get me out fishing .
People on various forums whos generosity with knowlege and time are just incredible in this ME ME ME world .
Later today will be fishing a middle England top secret salmon beat which has fish on it .#thanks to some ione I met on one forum now theres a star !

Mike Barrio

Re: British Angling Legends? New
« Reply #37 on: 08/09/2007 at 23:42 »
Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum  :cool:

Thanks for your nominations  :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #38 on: 13/09/2007 at 00:05 »
Looks like the nominations are slowing down ...........

Not sure that we need a poll to find the most popular?  :z8

It might be nice to just say that the following fishers have been nominated by forum members to be
"Our British Angling Stars"  :z16

John Goddard
Hugh Falkus
Arthur Cove
Richard Walker
Oliver Edwards
Frank Sawyer
Paul Procter
Peter "rabbitangler"
Bruce Sandison
W.C.Stewart
Ally Gowans
Oliver Kite
Lesley Crawford
Peter Anderson
Bob Church
Brian Leadbeater
John Wilson
Charles Jardine
GEM Skues
Chris Yates
Bob Wyatt
Bob James
Dave Mcphail
Stan Headley
Theo Pike
Mike Barrio

But if you would like a poll? ........ please ask  :wink

Hamish Young

« Reply #39 on: 13/09/2007 at 14:17 »
I hadn't considered a Pole.... a few Czechs maybe  :z4 :wink

OK... a poll might be a good plan Mike  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #40 on: 14/09/2007 at 01:58 »
I hadn't considered a Pole.... a few Czechs maybe  :z4 :wink

OK... a poll might be a good plan Mike  :z16

Will have a go at setting up a poll sometime early next week then Hamish  :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Dutchfly

Re: British Angling Legends / Stars?
« Reply #41 on: 14/09/2007 at 18:45 »
On that note, Hamish, Scott used to sell poles, maybe Mike should check them... :grin

CU

Jeroen

Mike Barrio

Re: British Angling Legends / Stars?
« Reply #42 on: 14/09/2007 at 23:55 »
Irvine perhaps touched on the beauty of doing a thread like this ......... some of us might not have heard much, if anything, about some of the anglers nominated  ???

I must confess that although I had heard of "Stewart style" in fly tying terms, I did not know anything about Mr W. C. Stewart or what "Stewart Style" meant  :z6

So ...... when I picked up this month's copy of Fly Fishing & Fly Tying Magazine, an article about Mr Stewart by Stephen Cheetham caught my attention :z17 "Aha, that's the fella that Peter nominated" thought I  :cool:

I read the article a couple of times and really got in to the description of his "rough and simple" method of tying spiders, I LIKE IT and I spent much of this afternoon playing at the vice experimenting with them. I was really chuffed with one or two of my efforts and couldn't resist giving them a swim, even though the cold and blustery conditions were not ideal for this today ....... result, they both caught trout for me!
Thanks Mr Stewart and thanks Peter for the nomination, I might not have read the article otherwise  :z16

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com