Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Braided loops
« on: 08/02/2015 at 12:11 »
Since the other topic about nylon has got me thinking, has anyone tried this method of making a loop by Stuart Minnikin?

http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/ezine/june-2013/the-ultimate-leader-to-line-connection-by-stuart-minnikin.php

I am curious and may have to try it.

:z1

Marc Fauvet

Re: Braided loops
« Reply #1 on: 08/02/2015 at 12:59 »
his obsession with watching the line end is really weird...  :X2
all that backing out of the line tip will make a definite hinge in the line-tip/leader-butt connection. plus keeping all that floating looks like a pia...

i like Jim William's method better. with the ring for a knotted leader attachment or without for a loop-to-loop connection.
http://www.fishinglessons.co.uk/blog/2012/03/tip-ring-to-fly-line-application/

cheers,
marc

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 08/02/2015 at 15:30 »
I have some of those barbed insert rings , I don't use them , I stick to what  I learned many years back, I use the figure 8 knot to my cast, I still use cast holders so I can do a quick change of a cast if needs be,I tried braided loops and I don't like them, so fiddle de dee
it's the figure 8 for me, :cool: easgach 1

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 08/02/2015 at 15:50 »
http://www.fishinglessons.co.uk/blog/2012/03/tip-ring-to-fly-line-application/
Now I like that Marc, very clean and simple.
Must give that a go too.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 08/02/2015 at 16:14 »
 :cool:

btw, the guy in your article writes something to the effect of threading the line tip with the eye of the needle instead of the point. makes me wonder if he's ever tried this...  :X2

anyhow, as Jim points out in his article, he uses the C&F needle to do this. if you don't have one another great alternative at many times cheaper price are sewing machine needles you get at a sewing shop. they come in different sizes and often in mixed size packs to cover all sorts of uses.

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 08/02/2015 at 19:27 »
Having spent a lot of this afternoon with a gin and tonic or two and the internet, I have come to a conclusion that kind of slapped me hard.
My issue is that I need two different leaders for river and loch - 6 foot 2x Super Strong then Drennan for droppers and tail fly and 9 foot 3x Super Strong plus Drennan for rivers. The tackle tart within spoke today and said what I need is another Barrio spool and another SLX and continue to glue the leaders into the line. It might cost a lot more than some loops but it saves all that f*!king about!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 09/02/2015 at 07:48 »
I like that first version on the Hardy site. I doubt I will be passing any needles down the tip of my new Barrio nymph line soon though as I am not too great at micro surgery!

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #7 on: 09/02/2015 at 08:31 »
you'd have a lot of fun considering its a nylon core...  :z4 :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 09/02/2015 at 09:42 »
you'd have a lot of fun considering its a nylon core...  :z4 :z4 :z4

Exactly ;)

I have my own cunning plan as to adding a loop.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #9 on: 09/02/2015 at 10:59 »
stripping the coating and making a perfection loop with the nylon core works very well  :wink
that or, blood-knotting the core to a length of leader butt and adapting the leader from the leader butt end.
cheers,
marc

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 09/02/2015 at 11:43 »
stripping the coating and making a perfection loop with the nylon core works very well  :wink
that or, blood-knotting the core to a length of leader butt and adapting the leader from the leader butt end.
cheers,
marc

I will be using the line purely for Czech nymphing so I will be forming a loop using 0range 30lb nylon. I then use various indicators depending on light conditions.

That's the plan anyway :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com