Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek Roxborough

Re: Best Tippet 2014
« Reply #15 on: 08/02/2015 at 15:35 »
Snowbee Magic mono 4lb 6lb & 8lb, for my tapered casts , with 2 droppers, works for me ,easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 09/02/2015 at 07:54 »
I believe the "boiling" only works on certain types of line. This used to be something we did to hook lengths  in carp fishing back in the late 70's early 80's to make the hook length super supple and lay straight without curling up off the bottom. Some lines it worked, others made the lines subject to breaking at a sudden shock like a head shake or strike.

Lines were very different back then, but the original Maxima was popular.

So, it might be worth testing with a few pulls once cooled, just in case.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #17 on: 09/02/2015 at 08:07 »
of course !!! give it a go and let us know how it works for you and whatever you do, don't change the oil before frying your next meal.... 

The results were... disappointing. Not sure I used the right kind of batter. I'll try breadcrumbs next time.

I did remember liking the barrio troutcast mono, but not the spools it came on (i couldn't get the tag end out, the spool was too deep)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 19/02/2015 at 11:58 »
Ultragreen and sub surface green ......... is there any reason why you prefer an olive or green tippet over a clear one guys?

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #19 on: 19/02/2015 at 12:50 »
my guess is its because Drennan sub-surface mono is green...  :z4

tbh, a coloured mono could only really make sense if its lying on the river or lake bed. at other levels of the water column, it makes for a higher contrast against its background whether that be seen from the side (fish looking across the water) or from below against the sky.

cheers,
marc

Iain Cameron

« Reply #20 on: 19/02/2015 at 13:41 »
my guess is its because Drennan sub-surface mono is green...  :z4

Yes. I buy a product that is reliable and tested. It just happens to be greenish. Green-ness isn't the reason I buy. The green is kinda a dull tinge anyway, so it's reasonably subdued.

I don't feel happy with shiny tippet, which some clear tippets are.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #21 on: 19/02/2015 at 14:10 »
More about the shine than the colour ....... that makes sense :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #22 on: 19/02/2015 at 14:20 »
Yes. I buy a product that is reliable and tested. It just happens to be greenish. Green-ness isn't the reason I buy. The green is kinda a dull tinge anyway, so it's reasonably subdued.

I don't feel happy with shiny tippet, which some clear tippets are.

Yeah, what he said. I don't think the colour of Drennan ever crossed my mind all those years ago, I just liked the price, the knot-ability, the price, the size of the spool, the price and the predictable way that it breaks, or rather doesn't.

Now that Marc has mentioned it, the colour is pretty cool. Just ordered three spools of Ultragreen in 3, 4, and 5lb to compare and contrast with Drennan and I like it already. I used to use that when I was in the tackle trade and it was always a toss up between that and Drennan. The only slight downside of Ultragreen is the size if the spool, which means that I will probably spend money on an overpriced tippet holder....

Time will tell   :wink

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 19/02/2015 at 14:24 »
Interesting comments too :z16 That looks like an outrageously expensive gadget :z4

What size spool do you prefer folks?

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #24 on: 19/02/2015 at 16:27 »
Interesting comments too :z16 That looks like an outrageously expensive gadget :z4

What size spool do you prefer folks?

Cheers
Mike

for convenience, the little Stroft-sized spools are spot on.
for untwistiness, something about the size of a basketball should do perfectly...  :z4 :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 19/02/2015 at 16:46 »
something about the size of a basketball should do perfectly...  :z4 :z4 :z4

:z4  :z4  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 19/02/2015 at 17:27 »
Maxima Ultragreen 3lb tippet on rivers.
4lb drennan sub on lochs when pulling.

What sort of diameters does that equate to Iain, I don't usually think of my tippet in lbs?

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #27 on: 19/02/2015 at 20:29 »
That looks like an outrageously expensive gadget
£70 Mike! I found it on Marcs site so please feel free to put all the blame on him  :z7

It would match my Abel nippers nicely. Great site Marc. Spent a slow day in the office looking at it. :z4
Spool size around 50m with the actual spool being the Drennan type size. The Maxima ones are just a wee bit to big.

Marc, the Ultragreen is sized like this
3lb, 0.127mm, 6x
4lb, 0.152mm, 5x
(According to Leadercalc3)

:z1

Iain Cameron

« Reply #28 on: 20/02/2015 at 08:29 »
hi mike

a chart I made earlier (winter, not enough fishing, too much time thinking about it!) comparing diameter (mm) & Breaking Strain (Lbs) of stroft ABR, Maxima Riverge, Ultrgreen & Sub surf

had to attach the chart; couldn't get an image to load for some reason (tried on PC & Mac). odd.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #29 on: 20/02/2015 at 09:28 »
Hmmm, doesn't seem to like pdf files Iain, I can't remember why :roll ( I've converted the file to an image file )

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com