Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Best Tippet 2014
« on: 06/02/2015 at 16:52 »
Tippet and leader material is pretty personal stuff, we all have our favourites and have confidence in them :cool:

Which products served you well last season?

Mike Barrio

Re: Best Tippet 2014
« Reply #1 on: 06/02/2015 at 18:16 »
I've been using Orvis Super Strong tapered leaders and tipping this off with some of the Troutcast that I still had in my jacket pockets  :cool:

Iain Cameron

« Reply #2 on: 06/02/2015 at 19:15 »
dead simple, cheap, reliable, robust.

Leeda tapered leaders; 15ft, cut down to ~12ft.
Maxima Ultragreen 3lb tippet on rivers. (4lb drennan sub on lochs when pulling)
Occasional Riverge Grand Max as tippet, but mostly ultragreen (Dryflee's influence).

Still have some Barrio Troutcast too. In my office; I practice knots when on the phone or in video calls :-)

Colin Sunley

« Reply #3 on: 06/02/2015 at 19:35 »
Just bought ultra green from on reading a post on here. Going to give it ago this year, any tips on tapered leaders do you blend to line or perfection loop the end ?

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #4 on: 06/02/2015 at 23:15 »
A variety of Sightfree G3 fluorocarbon from 12lb b/s down to 4lb b/s

Iain Cameron

« Reply #5 on: 07/02/2015 at 07:03 »
...any tips on tapered leaders ... perfection loop the end ?

perfection loop at butt end of taper; little Riverge leader ring at the business end, to which I tie tippet.

I lost a really good fish on Orvis Super Strong, possibly just rubbed a rock at my feet, lost faith with it.  Was persuaded to try it again. Did so. Found I could snap it in my hand with no effort 4x, 5x, 6x. Refund from Orvis. It's just not a make of tippet I think I'll have faith in

cheers
iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 07/02/2015 at 08:28 »
For trout I use Riverge Grand Max - not found anything better since Euan and I stumbled across it courtesy of another angler on a trip to Caithness some years ago.
Salmon - some Orvis and some Riverge.

H :cool:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 07/02/2015 at 10:39 »
I fished the whole season with Orvis super strong 15ft 4x tapered leaders and no tippet. I used a straight superglue connection to the flyline.

When the leaders dropped to about 10ft i snipped it off and replaced it with a new one, i used 4 leaders all season on 2 different flylines so probably lost 2" of flyline with each change, still got a couple of seasons left in the flyline. :z16

I avioded knots like the plague last year after getting snapped a few times in 2013, so i tried doing without adding tippet, i didn't fish any droppers for the same reason.

2014 i got broken once and it was at the fly by a rather big fish, the other fish that came off due to tackle failure bent the B100 hook so i have a lot of faith in the Super Strong Tapers :z16
I also upped the breaking strain to 4x and found no difference with flies down to a size 16, i set up a line with a 5x one for smaller flies, but it never got used, so maybe i didn't fish enough :z12

Sandy

Euan Innes

« Reply #8 on: 07/02/2015 at 16:41 »
Superstrong leaders for me too, but ending in a ring (Riverge I think) and then tippets / droppers of Drennan sub surface green, in 3, 4 or 5lb depending on the type of fishing. The leaders went on with superglue straight to the line.
This year I am going back to loops (Roman Moser ones)and varying the length of leader depending on whether I am on a river or a loch. The SLX likes to have something on the end to kick over so lochs would be a shorter steeper taper than rivers. The loop will also let me use sinking tips on my wee #4.
This could just be the product of too much long haul and alcohol but lets see what happens.  :z4

:z1

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #9 on: 07/02/2015 at 16:51 »
boiled Teklon Gold for standard trout-type flies and Stroft for streamers.

Euan Innes

« Reply #10 on: 07/02/2015 at 17:42 »
Boiled?
 :z1

Iain Cameron

« Reply #11 on: 08/02/2015 at 07:49 »
Boiled?

indeed! i'm intrigued. And does deep-frying work too?

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 08/02/2015 at 08:16 »
I have tried this myself with 'big butt' mono leaders to soften them up, theory is that once softened the leader material will be more supple, the leader will land straight and the 'cooking' process should not harm the material (ie. weaken it).

I had mixed results to be honest.

I was put on to the idea by some French guys fishing the Don with me who were using furled leaders and tippet that had been 'cooked' in the "chaudière" (that the correct word Marc :?).
I have to say their leaders landed perfectly straight first time and every time thereafter during the day. Maybe they were doing something different to me in the boiling - I only experimented once - but I suspect that I was too cautious on the amount of time I 'cooked' the leaders for as mine curled up again pretty much immediately :z10

I know a couple of hardened dry fly nuts that still do it but can't say I'm too bothered about trying it again. That said, it has been something like 20 years since the last time so maybe I should :!

H :cool:

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #13 on: 08/02/2015 at 10:32 »
I have tried this myself with 'big butt' mono leaders to soften them up, theory is that once softened the leader material will be more supple, the leader will land straight and the 'cooking' process should not harm the material (ie. weaken it).

had been 'cooked' in the "chaudière" (that the correct word Marc :?).

yup, boiled !
as Hamish notes, the boiling will have a greater effect on the bigger/stiffer parts of the leader but its equally valid for tippet as it makes it all more supple- much better for drag-free drifts.
they also cast better (leader loop propagation) than stiffer mono.  :cool:

chaudière means boiler room as in heating a house or running a factory. a simple pan will suffice for our needs...  :z4

other advantages,
treated materials make for better/easier/tighter seated knots. ill-seated knots are the source of most knot failures.
the material stretches more = less break-offs on sharp head-shakes. an indirect effect of this is that it makes smaller diameter tippets relatively 'stronger' than their original rating. 
it slightly gets rid of the top-coat shine most monos have- less fish scary.
what this also does is make the coating hold sink paste easier and for a longer period, the biggest issue i have with high-end contemporary monos is their coating doesn't let it hold easily.
one can also lightly tint the mono to suit water colour. a favourite for stained (peat-stained or whatnot) waters is adding some coffee grinds to the water  :wink

how- boil water in a pan, bring down heat to a simmer and put in your mono for 3 minutes. pull out with a fork, end of story.  :z16
hard to think of something as easy that's so beneficial.  :z16

typically the biggest worry is that this process weakens/damages the mono. it doesn't.
boiled water is at 100° whereas many times more that (from what i hear, manufacturers don't want to give exact figures) when the mono itself was originally made.

cheers,
marc

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #14 on: 08/02/2015 at 10:34 »
And does deep-frying work too?

of course !!! give it a go and let us know how it works for you and whatever you do, don't change the oil before frying your next meal....   :z4 :z4 :z4

:z7

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com