Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Otters and Beavers
« on: 26/01/2015 at 14:15 »
Fished a Tayside Loch on Sunday where I was confronted by a very large, brown, water borne "rodent".

I thought it was an Otter, although a very fat one whilst the chap I was talking to said, "Oh, that's the Beaver. He likes to be fed bread!" It was a distance but most certainly something large and brown.

I was skeptical but I have just received an e-mail from a mate who says he has also seen them at the same loch many times as well as on the Ericht and Isla.

So, if you go down to the loch today, you're in for a big surprise!..and take a loaf of bread!

Cláudio Saraiva

Re: Otters and Beavers
« Reply #1 on: 30/01/2015 at 01:00 »
Hi Rob,

The beaver has been extinct in the UK for the last 400 years, but now they are back!

Check out this website:

http://www.scottishbeavers.org.uk/

It seems that conservationists are trying to reintroduce them.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 30/01/2015 at 08:36 »
It seems that conservationists are trying to reintroduce them.

Thank you, I was already aware of this though :) We see beaver damage along a couple of rivers I fish for Grayling. Normally knawed stumps but 3 weeks ago there was the start of a dam.

What amazed me was that the loch in question is busy with dog walkers and water users. The thing seems to have no fear of man.

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #3 on: 30/01/2015 at 10:26 »
Thank you, I was already aware of this though :) We see beaver damage along a couple of rivers I fish for Grayling. Normally knawed stumps but 3 weeks ago there was the start of a dam.

What amazed me was that the loch in question is busy with dog walkers and water users. The thing seems to have no fear of man.

If it had been bred & reared in captivity & then later released/escaped, then I doubt very much it would have reason to fear humans... :X2

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 30/01/2015 at 10:48 »
If it had been bred & reared in captivity & then later released/escaped, then I doubt very much it would have reason to fear humans... :X2

The Tayside Beaver Study Group (which is very different to the Tayside Beaver Spotters Club :) ) state on their website that the Tayside beavers have nothing to do with the trial in Argyll, which I believe were reared in captivity.

They also say that SNH and "other Agencies" first became aware of Beavers in Tayside in 2006. I believe anglers were aware a couple of years before this.

So, I think the Beaver I saw would possibly be a descendent of those first tayside beavers and born in the wild?

Looking up the Eurasion beaver shows a lifespan of 5-10 years in the wild so possible.

I would like to think that no illegal introductions have happened recently, mainly because the keeping of beavers as "pets" has been strictly controlled as a license is required.

Who knows...but I will take my camera next time.

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 30/01/2015 at 18:24 »
OK, one of has to say it.
I have been a card holding member of a Beaver study group for about 36 years now and I CAN say that I am very observant and know a lot about the subject, in many languages. In fact I am a Beaver cunning liguist....
As for young introductions, I have always prefered an older Beaver, so not part of the HBC (Harris Beaver Club)

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

This is what happens when you are up for 37 hours coming home from Namibia and having a dram and many gins as soon as you have walked the dogs, hic....
Or is this April first??

:z1   :z18 :z18 :z18 :z18 :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 30/01/2015 at 20:32 »
Someone had to do it :z16

The photo's i'd looked out to show the difference between a beaver and something a little 'otter were not really suitable for family viewing so i actually managed to refrain :z4

Cheers Euan :X1

Sandy

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #7 on: 02/02/2015 at 11:37 »
It may be that we are going to get some of our own down here soon... :X2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-31066972

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com