Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Re: River Don 2015
« Reply #90 on: 13/04/2015 at 21:21 »
Tricky conditions the day. got 1 thin sea trout kelt and hooked ma self twice  :z8 :z8.
Good hatch tho just a pity aboot the wind.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #91 on: 14/04/2015 at 07:07 »
Just the one sea troot kelt for me on Sunday, missed a fish on dries (schoolboy error) missed two on spiders and one on duo.  Very hard day, hardly a rising fish and those that did come up were 'oncers'.
Acht well always next time.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #92 on: 16/04/2015 at 17:33 »
A wee dander out this afternoon for a couple of hours.

Fished a favourite very technical piece of water, always a big challenge and usually a few big fish about.
Today was no different, not helped by an upstream breeze, but i got a couple  when i managed to get the fly to drift drag free.
I seemed to waste the best part of the rise using the wrong fly, Yesterdays Dark DHE is yesterdays news on the Don, today it was Rusty olive Spiders.
Nice hatch of Olive uprights in bursts amongst the LDO's, i fancy the bigger fish were after the uprights. best was between 12 and 1 with fish rising in spots to the uprights through to 3.

Finally one of the better ones was golden and not a Sea-trout kelt :z16

Back to work for a few days now :cry :cry Have fun over the weekend :z16

Sandy

« Reply #93 on: 16/04/2015 at 19:49 »
Aye could only manage another sea trout kelt with razor like teeth  :cry :cry, Then i went to assist a fella fishing near by who hooked a belter of a broonie 4lb + i think and safely returned.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #94 on: 16/04/2015 at 22:08 »
Back to basics yesterday....... I revisited an old favourite method of mine the klink and dink/duo. The flies weren't fancy just a size 12 indicator klink and a size 14 PTN with 2.5ml tung bead. I had a blast best day of the season yet.

A few pics of my best 2 fish.

All that remains from a batch of 6 PTNs.

Liam

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #95 on: 18/04/2015 at 16:30 »
Well done on the troots Liam, very jealous from Dubai, I am currently sitting in the airport at Accra in Ghana. only another 4 years and I can retire to Scotland and fish happily ever after.

Eddie. :z16 :z16

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #96 on: 18/04/2015 at 23:28 »
Well done on the troots Liam, very jealous from Dubai, I am currently sitting in the airport at Accra in Ghana. only another 4 years and I can retire to Scotland and fish happily ever after.

Eddie. :z16 :z16

In four years time you will be fairly getting on a bit and will require my services for such functions as driving you to the river (you must supply the car) carrying your net (you're a lot shorter than me which in turn means it always gets hung up on bushes) and casting to those difficult risers (I do not feel I need to explain this one).

With this in mind please inform mother that as of 2019 I shall also be retiring of sorts and that you will be financially supporting me (it would all disappear in inheritance tax otherwise).

Your loving son,
Steven.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #97 on: 25/04/2015 at 09:28 »
Really tough conditions this week.

Few rising fish and even harder to hook, exactly like my trips to the deveron i found the fish had to be struck ultra quick to stand a chance of hooking up and then they were very easy to loose. In fact i didn't manage to get one in all week :X1
I'll blame the bright conditions and the doldrums all the rivers seem to be in. A change in the weather this week might help, might make it worse :X1 we shall see...

Still its good to be brought back down to earth from time to time :z6

Anyone else have any joy?

Sandy

Geoff Gill

« Reply #98 on: 25/04/2015 at 11:59 »
I've had a great start to the season so far.
Last week the fish were getting a bit trickier to spot and getting spookier too, but i did manage a few nice fish.

A few nice ones like this throughout the week

On thursday i tried my new Sage TXL-f #4 as river is low and trout were getting trickier to catch, not much happened all day until i was heading back to car and spotted a nice rise. I covered it and christened the rod with style. :z16
A really nice 24" trout

All in all a great start to my season, back to work now so wont be back for a few weeks.

cheers

Geoff

Mike Barrio

« Reply #99 on: 25/04/2015 at 12:04 »
Great stuff Geoff ..... and cracking photos :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #100 on: 25/04/2015 at 13:35 »
Awesome stuff Geoff :z16

Bonny fish too :z18 i bet it was a whole lot of fun on a 4wt TXL :z12

Sandy

Noel Kelly

« Reply #101 on: 25/04/2015 at 16:32 »
Hi Sandy. I'm glad it wasn't just me. I fished a lot this week, good day sat and Sunday and then it all got very difficult! Had my first don blank of the season quickly followed by my second! Good flush of rain would be a big help.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #102 on: 27/04/2015 at 08:08 »
Sunday saw me heading for a Pike fly trip before I realized Cass had my permit in her car...so home, change the 9 weight for a 4 weigh and off I went to the Don.

It was 9 degrees when I left the house, 6 when I got to the river and -1 when I finally got back to the car!!

However, managed a few small fish, including a few Finnock (??) on a Klink and Dink setup before the snow really came down.

At that point I switched to a much underused wet fly cast and down stream swing. I was plabued by small fish around 4-6 inched hammering a spider or a March Brown wet so come 3.30, I had had enough and headed home.

There were tiny pale coloured flies coming off most of the day in very low numbers and before the snow started, the odd fish was rising, but only once or twice. As soon as the wind touched the water, the fish were gone.

At 3pm there was a reasonable hatch of Olives, but by then the snow was hammering down and nothing was moving at all.

Scott Cumming

« Reply #103 on: 06/05/2015 at 07:52 »
Headed down to the river on Sunday around 1pm, conditions were far from ideal with heavy rain and a strong upstream wind. It was difficult trying to spot a rising fish never mind follow a dry fly on its drift. At 1:30 there were quite a few olive uprights coming off and I tuned into some nice trout on the move.

Shortly after I hooked into this cracker on a size 14 DHE­­­

The trout were rising to olive uprights all afternoon and after a few smaller fish I got hold of this one at the tail of the next pool.

Had a great afternoon, well worth the effort!

Here are a few more pics from recent trips...

....its been a great start to the season.

and well done to the rest of you,­­­ great stuff!

Cheers
Scott C

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #104 on: 06/05/2015 at 08:04 »
Awesome stuff Scott.

Cracking photo's too, looks like there have been a good number of decent fish getting caught on the dry, superb :z18

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com