Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: River Don 2015
« Reply #75 on: 05/04/2015 at 19:12 »
Stonkers :z14

Pete , at 29" thats a fish of a lifetime, i hope you manage to better it :z16

There seem to be some very big brownies about at the moment :z16

A bit bright today, but one or two rising here and there.

Sandy

Dorlo

« Reply #76 on: 05/04/2015 at 21:08 »
Went out Saturday. Fantastic hatch that lasted from around 1-3pm... had trouble getting the fish to pick out my fly among the naturals as a few others have noted. A few big flies coming down, March Browns or similar?

Had success on a Size 14 DHE, 5 fish in total but two worth mentioning, a 19" sea trout kelt, and a 19" fat brownie which was a beautiful fish and great fight.

Unfortunately I went for a swim with my phone so couldn't get photos. Thought the phone was stuffed but it fired up again today. seems fitting for an Easter Sunday Resurrection!

A good start to the season for all it seems.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #77 on: 06/04/2015 at 07:37 »
And there was me thinking I had a good start, and I then see the two cracking fish others have caught! Oh well..lol

Saturday saw me get out for a few hours late afternoon. Got to the river about 4 to be told by two salmon anglers that I had just missed a hatch...grrr. Managed to spot a fish hugging the far bank that was rising every now and then. Managed to entice it with a size 16 DHE, lovely Browne weighed at 1lb 9oz.

Headed out Sunday at the same time, again, seemed to have missed the hatch so did a little nymphing. Managed a fish on a gold headed Hares Ear. That one was 1lb 4oz. On the way back to the car, just as it was getting dark I spotted what I thought was a small fish taking "something" off the top about 2 feet from the near bank. Crept up and plonked a DHE on its nose to be met with a very very angry Brownie that went airborne a dozen times before shooting off downstream. That one was 2lb 3oz.

From now on I am going to cast at those tiny dimples that I thought were small fish...

Simon Bruce

« Reply #78 on: 06/04/2015 at 07:57 »
Was out on Saturday for a wee while, plenty of life on the water and lots of fish rising all over the place. Second cast in and hooked into this beauty.

Caught a few more all on a DHE.

Simon

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #79 on: 06/04/2015 at 08:52 »
looking at all those fish I think I am going to need a bigger rod!!!

Noel Kelly

« Reply #80 on: 06/04/2015 at 12:30 »
Got on the water bout 11:30 yesterday to a hatch of olives in full swing. Few trout rising. First few offerings were refused but an olive comparadun did the trick. Landed 3 in quick succession all between 1 and 1.5 lbs and then the hatch died and thst was basically it. Despite hanging around for another few hrs I could have gone home at 12:30 quiet happy.
Heading back to work now so no fishing for me for at least a week. Shame, it would be a great week to have off for fishing!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #81 on: 06/04/2015 at 16:32 »
Had the bairn out today :z16

Every decent fish we covered turned out to be a Seatrout Kelt, still in bonny nick and some decent sizes too.

a few smaller brownies as well but the rise had already started when we arrived at 1130 and there were still fish popping up for the odd march brown at 3 when we left. So a great time to be out on the river

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #82 on: 06/04/2015 at 17:06 »
Great stuff Sandy :z16 ...... by the way, "the bairn" is bigger than you :z4

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #83 on: 06/04/2015 at 17:52 »

by the way, "the bairn" is bigger than you :z4

not quite......... although he thinks he is :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #84 on: 08/04/2015 at 00:20 »
It's great to see some photos of leaner early season trout, this gives a nice picture of how our fishing changes throughout the year :z16

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #85 on: 08/04/2015 at 07:44 »
River was quiet last night, no real movement, no real hatch. Quite a cool wind was ruffling the surface and making a 4 weight hard work. Missed a fish on a Klink and Dink rig when searching a piece of water I had seen a fish working on Sunday. Then tried some nymphing but the upstream wind made things hard, so sat on the bank and waited for the wind to drop

Spotted a fish rising to the odd fly so covered it, and missed it! So, another half hour sat watching before it started to rise again. Bingo, another wee 2 pounder. I remember the days when a 2 pounder would be a big fish, these days it seems to be an average lol.

Headed back to the car and had a chuck at what I thought was a good fish 2 foot from the bank...but it turned out to be a hand sized Brownie.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #86 on: 08/04/2015 at 19:14 »
Some pics from the last 2 days!  :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #87 on: 08/04/2015 at 19:19 »
Last ones for a while I promise.  :z16

I'm off the river for a few days so Tightlines everyone!

Liam

Colin Sunley

« Reply #88 on: 08/04/2015 at 20:30 »
Nice one Liam, you been enjoying your self way to much 😀😀😀

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #89 on: 13/04/2015 at 17:23 »
Windy today :z6

A pleasant walk with Colin ended with him getting himself off the mark for the season :z18

Well done dude and a bonny fish to boot, 18" and around the 2lb mark according to the net.

Eventually the hatch started, pretty late after 1pm, the fish i found were hugging banks, both near and far, only 3 spots with a handful of feeding fish. A long walk for not much action.
But they were willing if you managed to cover one :z16 Slim fish today, which is interesting given the condition of the ones over the last couple of weeks. My best of the day was about 17" and bonny colours :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com