Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Colin Sunley

Re: River Don 2015
« Reply #45 on: 22/03/2015 at 14:16 »
Not sure why your quoting my post in reference , subject as nothing to do with your announcement

Ben Dixon

« Reply #46 on: 22/03/2015 at 17:26 »
My "announcement", was regarding using common sense when reporting catches here or anywhere else.  Your post made reference to not people possible not reporting all catches, I know that to be the case and at times, there may be good reason.  I'm sorry if you do not see a connection there, I did not realise the need to be more explicit and will be sure to take that into account next time I quote you.  You're right about it being interesting to see what comes of this season though.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #47 on: 23/03/2015 at 07:53 »
Your post made reference to not people possible not reporting all catches, I know that to be the case and at times, there may be good reason.

Which in itself is breaking the club rules and I believe it is a legal requirement to submit catch returns for migratory species......

Hamish Young

« Reply #48 on: 23/03/2015 at 08:50 »
Which in itself is breaking the club rules and I believe it is a legal requirement to submit catch returns for migratory species......

Pretty much anywhere in Scotland it's a legal requirement to provide an accurate catch return of wild and migratory salmonids for government records.
To knowingly provide false information on a return is... errrr....... an offence.

I appreciate the topic at hand is emotive, especially when it comes to the Don, but the problem of falsified or 'creative' catch returns is not a uniquely Don issue.

In line with previous years, and as Ben has stated, forum members should ensure that common sense or caution is used when posting updates with regard to where and when you have caught that trophy fish or had a belting day in 2015. It's good to share, but not too much :!

H

Ben Dixon

« Reply #49 on: 23/03/2015 at 10:01 »
Thanks Hamish  :z16

Rob, I was referring to brown trout for which there is not a legal requirement to report catches.  Reporting migratory catches is as you rightly state a legal requirement but they are often there one day and gone the next from a particular lie.  Brownies not so much.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #50 on: 23/03/2015 at 10:15 »
Thanks Hamish  :z16

Rob, I was referring to brown trout for which there is not a legal requirement to report catches.  Reporting migratory catches is as you rightly state a legal requirement but they are often there one day and gone the next from a particular lie.  Brownies not so much.

Cheers

Ben

Still against club rules....

1.6 Return of catches
₋ Notification of catch information is obligatory on all members and should take place within 48 hours of all catches being made. It is important that all members adhere to the catch reporting rule. This must be done by telephone, number 01569 731949 or by the computer system. It will be a disciplinary offence not to do so.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #51 on: 23/03/2015 at 12:09 »
Hi Rob,

Well aware of the rules mate, point I'm making is that it does not always happen and that there is no LEGAL requirement to report  :z4

Should catch up for a cast sometime this year.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #52 on: 26/03/2015 at 10:14 »
Hi guys :z16

We will hopefully enjoy some good fishing again in 2015 and will naturally want to speak about it :cool:

It is great to discuss our good days on the water and to share a few photos ...... but at the same time we will obviously have concerns about naming our favourite river beats, pools and loch locations.

As always, Please use your common sense with this ....... and simply speak about "on the Don near Inverurie", "on the Upper/Middle/Lower River Don", or "a loch near Inverness" for example.

If you would like to know more about a given location mentioned in somebody's post, the question can be asked via the PM Messages system :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #53 on: 28/03/2015 at 15:46 »
Looks like we might be in for a breezy start this week :z6

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #54 on: 01/04/2015 at 17:23 »
So was anyone daft enough to be out today and if so how daft were the trout :z18

being stuck at work on the first day of the season wasn't as bad as i thought it might be, watching the rain/snow/hail crossing the runway horizontally :z7

Mind you i remember one 1st of April that was particularly excellant for fish in the middle of a rain/snow/hail/windy........:X2

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #55 on: 01/04/2015 at 17:40 »
I was daft enough!!

I'm glad I did though..... Pics to follow.  :z16

Liam

Liam Stephen

« Reply #56 on: 01/04/2015 at 20:47 »
As promised.  :z16

I started my day with the SSS. Six weight, sink tip and streamer.

After a couple of hours and only a rattle I switched to the floating line and waited for the hatch. At 11.30 the flies started to emerge and the trout began to rise. I had a couple of nice trout and a handful of Sea Trout kelts which were good fun and put a nice bend in the rod.

The hatch lasted pretty much all afternoon even in the crap conditions. I saw a nice fish rise in the tail of a productive pool and got into position. After a few failed attempts my fly went where I wanted and up he came!

This fish was hooked at 3.25pm and there was still plenty of flies drifting down. Not my usual gear but I was pretty happy with the way the 6wt performed.

All in all a good first day of the trout season!  :z16

Liam

Noel Kelly

« Reply #57 on: 01/04/2015 at 21:01 »
Good man Liam  :z16 a fine report and a cracking trout. Hopefully the first of many we see on this thread this year.
Flying back to the UK on Friday evening so hopefully get some sport at the wend.

Colin Sunley

« Reply #58 on: 01/04/2015 at 22:01 »
You've had a cracking day mate well done

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #59 on: 02/04/2015 at 07:20 »
Great stuff young man. Bonny fish :z16 nice photo's too :z18

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com