Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Skyeman

Re: River Don 2015
« Reply #210 on: 28/08/2015 at 19:27 »
 Thanks for the advice guys. I presume I'll be as well just going bugs on through, unless there's risers.  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #211 on: 30/08/2015 at 07:02 »
You presume correct :z16

Time of the day and conditions are key to hatches, as with any river, but September should bring you Large dark olives again, Small dark olives and Iron blues depending on the beat, so DHE's in 14 and SHE's in 16's should have you covered for any dries.
Always worth a chuck with a streamer too if there is nothing moving, but if you keep yourself on the move you will find rising fish.

Don't know much about bugging, but I know it works really well if you know how to do it. :z16

Cheers

Sandy

Skyeman

« Reply #212 on: 30/08/2015 at 10:32 »
 Thank you for the advice Sandy. I suppose I'd rather catch them on dries, but just a nice bit of sport and would be good. I might even try a streamer if things get particularly tough, but we'll see. The weather may play a big part...... as per any month I suppose. lol

Skyeman

« Reply #213 on: 19/09/2015 at 09:31 »
Well so far tried Inverurie from where it joins the Urie upwards.....rather disappointing, didn't see a single fish and nothing on nymphs or bugs. Strange cos it looked fishy, I wonder if it's taken a battering as its so accessible?
 Anyway went to a place called Manar, which was ridiculously expensive for Brown Trout C&R.....£35!!! But it was really good fishing, had over a dozen to a pound or so, all on olive klinks. Didn't realise how deep it was, got a nice soaking trying to get to a better afish on the far side.....at least 2lb and head and tailed a few times, and I couldn't even get a rise out of him when I got within range! The f@cker! Lol
  Might give Parkhill a go there's some nice fish being taken there, but we'll see. I'd also like to do Manar again, but like I said the price is off putting.

« Reply #214 on: 24/09/2015 at 15:15 »
Well so far tried Inverurie from where it joins the Urie upwards.....rather disappointing, didn't see a single fish and nothing on nymphs or bugs. Strange cos it looked fishy, I wonder if it's taken a battering as its so accessible?
 Anyway went to a place called Manar, which was ridiculously expensive for Brown Trout C&R.....£35!!! But it was really good fishing, had over a dozen to a pound or so, all on olive klinks. Didn't realise how deep it was, got a nice soaking trying to get to a better afish on the far side.....at least 2lb and head and tailed a few times, and I couldn't even get a rise out of him when I got within range! The f@cker! Lol
  Might give Parkhill a go there's some nice fish being taken there, but we'll see. I'd also like to do Manar again, but like I said the price is off putting.

I heard the reason for Manar price is folk were taking a trout ticket only and fishing for Salmon so they made it a 35 quid all species which is very good value if you do happen to fish for Salmon sea troot and browns.
If course Don Salmon do seem to snap trout flees fairly regularly so it may have been accidental  :oops :oops.

Skyeman

« Reply #215 on: 25/09/2015 at 16:00 »
Its fairly obvious if you're troutfishing, and theres a regular bailliff popping down too. I just think its a ridiculous price and will fish elsewhere. If I want to fish for salmon and theres a decent chance I don't mind paying for that. 

Doug

« Reply #216 on: 29/09/2015 at 18:53 »
How are folks getting on in the last days of the season?

I've tried the river from 3pm- dark for the last week. Very short rise at 17:30 most nights, but I'm unable to connect. Fish very wary. I sense my fly choice is too big.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #217 on: 29/09/2015 at 20:23 »
Been down a few times in the last couple of weeks, been the same story most days, including today.

BWO's hatching from 11am right through till dark, the fish are there but seem to feeding when the sun goes away, this includes if you can find some water in shade, then there are fish rising steadily.
Lots of 10"-12" fish that are feeding on the upwings a size 14 DHE or CDC rusty olive spider has been good enough to fool a few.

But as you say Doug, very spooky.  The bigger fish i've seen feeding have disappeared as soon as my fly goes near them, been blaming the tippet for flashing in the low angled sunlight. Bit of a challenge once you hook one as they know where the weed is and how to use it.

Plenty there to find but you need to keep your eyes peeled, we saw heaps today once you stopped for a while and focussed on the river.

Last one tomorrow, so fingers crossed there are a few more clouds :z16

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #218 on: 29/09/2015 at 20:47 »
A nice photo of the BWO's, if anyone is in doubt as to the fish food.

Heres some nice loops i watched today, while someone messed about with my rod :roll

and the product is a nicely presented Dryfly touching down delicately after the line has straightened out, Very nice :z16

Good fun :z18

Sandy

Iain Cameron

« Reply #219 on: 30/09/2015 at 21:09 »
sniff, that's another season over... been out the last 5 or 6 days on the trot in various locations. Walked many miles, clambered through many bushes and slipped on a few rocks and weeds. Another pair of wading boots wrecked, legs sore, when I close my eyes I see foam lines and bubbles after so much time staring at them. Wouldn't have it any other way. A few miles covered, a few trout caught and released.

Today was a fine end to the season. Sunny, but sun behind me on a shady pool. Spring-like olive hatch. Trout popping away. Oh, and one big lad popped his nose up... 3.5lb of superb wild brownie, a cracking finale.

Having trouble posting pics here at the moment; pic in the gallery at ........

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #220 on: 30/09/2015 at 21:25 »
Awesome

We found a few of the bigger boys today as well, hard to tempt though so very well done indeed :z14

Liam rounded his season off with a belter though, Size 16 dry and on a 3wt epic as well :z18 He did really well to keep him out of the weeds and actually get him to the net :z16

Lots of pounders today and i discovered a new fly, one that will definately be joining my box for next year :z16

So a cracking finale and a back to the vice for the next few months to plot and dream :z3

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #221 on: 30/09/2015 at 21:28 »
Well that's it for another season!

I've spent the past two days on the river. I met up with Sandy after 3pm both days, we played with various rods and caught some nice fish. 

Yesterday I spent a good bit of my day nymphing. I had loads of brownies up to 1lb and a nice Sea Trout around the 4lb mark. I got a real shock when it took and actually thought it was a Salmon for most of the fight.

Today I was out with my little Epic and Sandys's very nice 'Smallstream' bamboo.  BWOs hatched all day and the trout were looking up. I had great fun picking them off on a mixture of dries and spiders, both rods were bent. My best fish in the morning was a nice 15" that gave me the run around in the tail of a pool before running the rapids.

My best fish of the afternoon nailed my fly  just after sundown. It was a beauty of 2.75lb and  put a serious big bend in the 376! Luckily Sandy was close by with his net and scooped it up. He got some awesome shots of the fish which I'm sure he will post. A brilliant two days with some great company, cheers Sandy!

:z18

Liam Stephen

« Reply #222 on: 30/09/2015 at 21:56 »
Had to share this great pic by Sandy  :z16

:z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #223 on: 02/10/2015 at 21:05 »
A final thought to last the next few months.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....................... :z3

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #224 on: 02/10/2015 at 21:25 »
Yes, I was having similar thoughts today Sandy ........................

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com