Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Marc Fauvet

Re: River Don 2015
« Reply #135 on: 02/06/2015 at 10:55 »
are you guys saying that Scottish trout haven't figured out they can circle the bug and eat it from behind ?  :z4 :z4 :z4

really interesting comments, thanks !  :z16

Sandy, have you considered tying some DHEs backwards ?  :wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #136 on: 02/06/2015 at 12:29 »
Makes sense to me  :z16

To add to that, i have found that if my flies, particularly the DHE, is facing downstream then the trout often ignore it.
If it is facing upstream then they hit it confidently. This often leads me to fish it across and sometimes downstream on a slack line cast rather than traditional upstream dryfly style.

Cheers

Sandy

There was an article a few months back on the very subject of having two dry fly boxes, one with upstream facers, one with down stream facers.

Scott Cumming

« Reply #137 on: 02/06/2015 at 12:37 »
An old Don saying is “when the winds in the east the fish bite least, wind in the west fish bite best” it tends to run pretty true most of the time.
  (but not all of the time)

I witnessed an incredible hatch of Olive Uprights on the Don in April. Strong easterly wind, rain, followed by sleet then heavy snow, yet the water was blanketed with OU’s and fish rising everywhere...

Similar story on my next outing minus the sleet and snow.

Scott C

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #138 on: 03/06/2015 at 21:52 »
  (but not all of the time)

Hehe :z7

upstream breeze this evening, for a wee while, saw quite a few nice trout rising to what i think were BWO's
I couldn't get close enough to catch any, but a size 14 DHE was good for the fish.

A nice handful of trout to christen the new Epic Carbon 5wt i have under R and D.
Best of the evening i dropped, but he started rising again after about an hour but i couldn't get him to take again, funnily enough.

However A change to a CDC Spider resolved to take the other fish in his stretch, including this nice one.

All in ,a great evening from 6 till 9 with some good fish moving to flies and plenty in the 1-2lb class, well impressed with the new blank on its first outing, hopefully we'll see how it handles a good un soon enough :z16
Water was still pretty coloured but it didn't seem to be putting the fish off, saw a couple of tourists splashing about as well :z18

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #139 on: 06/06/2015 at 14:08 »
Had a late session last night between 9-11:45pm. On arrival there were various olives hatching with Yellow Mays in good numbers. I spotted a decent trout feeding on emerging YM’s, nicking a few adults off the surface too (which I don’t see often). The trout took my offering - a DHE with a light hares ear body but I dropped him soon after  :cry

There were a few sedge skittering about later so I gave a tried and tested CDC pattern it’s first swim of the season. Soon after I got into a few nice fish, including one that I’d caught earlier in the season. You can see by the comparison montage below it has gained in weight since April....

After a few more similar sized fish I managed to tempt the biggest of the night, a strong strapping trout that gave me the runaround for a bit...

The trout recovered in the weedy shallows before disappearing into the darkness...

Cheers
Scott C

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #140 on: 11/06/2015 at 13:15 »
I've made the most of the last few good evenings and had some interesting nights on various beats of the river.

Lots of flies on all the nights but no two nights were the same.

Sunday night the fish were after big sedges and were happy to hit big flies skated across the water, monday night they wanted really small flies fished on the drift, Tuesday it was smallish caddis (14) fished on the drift or skated, last night they were after yellow mays to start with (unusual) and went onto micro caddis later on. I'm pretty sure the fish were feeding on very small caddis on all the nights, but they are very hard to see in the dark.

So its been hard work with the bigger fish starting to feed as the Bats come out,

I managed to catch fish most nights on a size 12 or 14 CDC and Elk, but the bigger boys were quite shy and easily spooked
this was the best of the 4 nights

And i had a few like this too

So all in, a few good nights, didn't manage any Scott sized fish but i did see a few and know where they live :wink all i have to do is improve my stealthyness and accuracy in the failing light and maybe i might get one :z16
Being in the right spot when the bats come out makes  a huge difference so spend some time looking  :z16

Back to work for a few days now, so no more midnight finishes for a few days, if you are out, stay late its worth it :z18

Cheers

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #141 on: 12/06/2015 at 07:50 »
I’ve been chomping at the bit all week, finally managed to get down to the river last night  :z2 Nothing much happened until after 10:30 when a couple of better ones started to move, not as many as expected but a few to aim at anyway. Picked off a few nice trout in the 1-2lb range then all went quiet  :z8

Thought that was my lot for the night, that was until this beauty rose to my dry just before midnight....

if you are out, stay late its worth it :z18

Looks like you were right Sandy  :z16
Right time right place I guess

Cheers
Scott C

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #142 on: 12/06/2015 at 08:07 »
Awesome :z14

out of interest what size fly?

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #143 on: 12/06/2015 at 13:06 »
B100 size 14, thankfully this one didn't open on me, been having a few problems with these hooks lately  :z8

I was just about to call it a night when that fish rose, I was lucky!

Scott C

Colin Sunley

« Reply #144 on: 12/06/2015 at 17:25 »
Cracking fish, must have been a he'll of a fight.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #145 on: 13/06/2015 at 21:39 »
woW !!! congrats !!!  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #146 on: 15/06/2015 at 08:16 »
Stunning!!! I was out on Thursday until 11pm. I certainly did not see anything like this rising :( I really must be on the wrong bit of the river :(

Hamish Young

« Reply #147 on: 15/06/2015 at 08:59 »

Well done Scott, that's a hell of a trout  :z16

H :cool:

Scott Cumming

« Reply #148 on: 20/06/2015 at 19:38 »
I was out on Thursday until 11pm. I certainly did not see anything like this rising :( I really must be on the wrong bit of the river :(
or maybe you packed up at the wrong time, 11pm finish is early for this time of year. All my fish lately have been taken between 10:30 - Midnight. I also like to keep on the move, a change of pool can make all the difference. I rotate beats regularly,  sometimes fishing more than one in a session. With a little perseverance it eventually comes good!

With unsettled weather this week there hasn’t been as much surface activity as I would expect at this time of year. However, there’s usually been a small window of opportunity most nights on various beats and did manage some nice fish.

This trout wasn’t the biggest of my week but was certainly the strongest -­ with a big tail and impressive girth, caught around 11:30pm

:z18
Scott C

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #149 on: 22/06/2015 at 10:01 »
or maybe you packed up at the wrong time, 11pm finish is early for this time of year. All my fish lately have been taken between 10:30 - Midnight. I also like to keep on the move, a change of pool can make all the difference. I rotate beats regularly,  sometimes fishing more than one in a session. With a little perseverance it eventually comes good!

With unsettled weather this week there hasn’t been as much surface activity as I would expect at this time of year. However, there’s usually been a small window of opportunity most nights on various beats and did manage some nice fish.

This trout wasn’t the biggest of my week but was certainly the strongest -­ with a big tail and impressive girth, caught around 11:30pm

:z18
Scott C

I think it was yourself I passed, stood in the middle of the river, waiting and watching as I bumbled upstream.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com