Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

Lightweight Float Tube for backpacking
« on: 21/01/2015 at 08:12 »
folks

anyone looking to buy a brand new lightweight float tube for backpacking and similar long range trips?

A mate and I are negotiating delivery discount if we can get a small group order (min 5 people) together; tubes come from the US.

Retail is $325 dollars, not cheap, but tubes pack down tiny and weigh just 3.8lbs. http://www.wildernesslitefloattubes.com/

PM me if interested.
cheers
iain

Mike Barrio

Re: Lightweight Float Tube for backpacking
« Reply #1 on: 21/01/2015 at 11:31 »
They look interesting Iain ..... not needing another tube at the moment though :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 21/01/2015 at 19:24 »
Euan might be up for that :?

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 21/01/2015 at 20:09 »
Don't need another one H. My Shakey is light enough to carry pretty much anywhere and I do like having 3 bladders ( oh er missus) when the water gets deep.
looks like a cracking tube though. I know it can't be, but is that Ben in the tube at the top of the webpage?

:z1

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 22/01/2015 at 09:28 »
... I know it can't be, but is that Ben in the tube at the top of the webpage?

:-)

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 22/01/2015 at 15:07 »
And in case anyone is confused about which page, I mean this one.

http://www.wildernesslitefloattubes.com/index.html

:z4 :z4 :z4

:z1

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 22/01/2015 at 21:17 »
That photo does have a swipe of Ben  :z4

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 23/01/2015 at 10:24 »

and weigh just 3.8lbs.

"If you get a normal float tube and blow it up with air, it will be just as light"  :z4 :z4  :X2

And in the same vein, a ton of lead really does weigh more than a ton of feathers!

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #8 on: 23/01/2015 at 11:47 »
And in the same vein, a ton of lead really does weigh more than a ton of feathers!

Metric or imperial?   :wink  :z4

Allan Liddle

« Reply #9 on: 26/01/2015 at 00:56 »
Speaking as the only person known to have carried a float tube up a Munro (don't ask long story  :wink) and fished up several hill burns en route to some feckin remote and high lochs I can say the Shakey Arsedragger is not too bad to lug around.
That said if you've to add camping shit etc for a wee expo then that thing you're looking at Iain is pretty interesting.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #10 on: 26/01/2015 at 07:54 »
Speaking as the only person known to have carried a float tube up a Munro (don't ask long story  :wink)...
did you get lost on the way back from the pub?

My mate already has a shakey tube, and he is the guy driving the idea to buy these lightweight tubes. When you are walking 2-3hours to a hill loch, then lighter/smaller the kit the better

Allan Liddle

« Reply #11 on: 26/01/2015 at 11:53 »
did you get lost on the way back from the pub?

My mate already has a shakey tube, and he is the guy driving the idea to buy these lightweight tubes. When you are walking 2-3hours to a hill loch, then lighter/smaller the kit the better

Yup to be fair after a long haul day you do know you've ben lugging it around Iain not to forget the fact it's easier to carry fully inflated which leads to other issues not least of which are catching the wind and simply just getting in the feckin road.
Also looking at the ones in the photo / site you've highlighted are certainly a 'V' hull and given no-one seems to be producing over here at the moment, might be a good shout not just for long haul trips but possibly not overly frequent users as well (maybe somone who only uses a tube once / twice a month / during holidays?)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 26/01/2015 at 13:31 »
Also looking at the ones in the photo / site you've highlighted are certainly a 'V' hull and given no-one seems to be producing over here at the moment,

There are a few available.

Snowbee (£179 for a kit, including flippers, pump carry bag) and Rob Thompson (£125) both do V hulled cheap (ish) tubes.

Vision does its Keeper kit for £199.

There is also http://floattube.co.uk/6-floattubes who have 5 V hulls on the go. They are based in Holland but ship from the UK (apparently).

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com