Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

2015 Epics
« on: 11/01/2015 at 20:09 »
The first epic of 2015 is a 4wt 8ft rod destined for the Wild Trout Trust Auction at the beginning of march.

She is Nude with a Maple downsliding nickel silver seat and is whipped in Golden Olive silk. It has a Jade insert in the stripper and fine wire double leg snakes throughout.
She is up for auction with the Swift Black rod tube and a Swift rod bag, Mike has also very kindly donated a Smallstream WF4F to match the rod.

So keep your eyes peeled on ebay March 3-12 or online for the Auction Catalogue to appear, i'll post a reminder nearer the time, for now here are some tasters.

All for a really good cause :z16

Cheers

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Re: 2015 Epics
« Reply #1 on: 11/01/2015 at 20:52 »
Nice, very nice Sandy :z16

Cheers
Mike

Colin Sunley

« Reply #2 on: 11/01/2015 at 21:35 »

+1 on that,

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 12/01/2015 at 13:59 »
Looking good Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 17/01/2015 at 11:26 »
Just received my new stock of reel seats for 2015.

They are Lemke Seats in anodised alloy, nice and light and cracking quality, they will be available for all the rods from now on.
I got LC7 Uplocks (left and centre) and LC1 Uplocks (right) in both Nickel silver and Black finishes, with a great selection of wooden inserts which I was able to choose myself.

I've a few other touches for 2015 including options such as genuine Struble Agate rings in really nice finishes, a new minimal Stripper guide that looks really cool, and new Alloy rod tubes, all of which are inclusive to the standard pricing, so lots of options for people to choose from.

Cheers

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 17/01/2015 at 12:06 »
They look great Sandy, looking forward to seeing some nice builds with them :z16

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 18/01/2015 at 19:39 »
Sandy, will you stop that sh1t?  :z4
I am now starting to want to try one despite the fact that it is a foot short, glass, the wrong colours,  and so on. Your build quality and finishes are stunning Sandy and every review says great things about these blanks.
What the hell is wrong with me????????
I'll be in touch when the season opens.....
(Sheesh! Like I need another damn #4!)

:z1

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 19/01/2015 at 11:22 »
Hi Euan

Anytime you fancy trying one just shout and we can sort something out :z16 My 580 is available for playing with, it likes the SLX 4 :wink even if it is Salsa coloured :z4

In the meantime remember that there are other colours too like this  :wink

Or if you wanted a change from wavelengths

Sorry i couldn't resist :X2

Cheers

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 19/01/2015 at 11:23 »
The new Agate rings look like this.

So will be a great option, for those who want something different. I've already sold one which is why there are only 5 left :z12

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 19/01/2015 at 11:28 »
I also cracked on and here is the first new handle with the Lemke reel seats.

This one is a Mrytle insert and my current batch of cork, which is superb, sourced direct from the manufacturer and you can tell the difference.
Its on a 580 Olive epic which is whipped in Straw silk (unfinished as yet, but will go almost invisible :z3)

I also decided to re-handle my Loomis as the factory cork was crap, while the seat was off i couldn't resist replacing it with a Lemke too, but managed to keep it in tune with the rod.
I think it works :z16

Having lots of fun, while i impatiently wait for the season to start :z5

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 19/01/2015 at 11:40 »
Lots of great looking gear there Sandy :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #11 on: 19/01/2015 at 12:06 »
STOP IT, STOP IT, STOOOOOP ITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :z4
Those reel seats are bee-you-tee-full and I am warming to the colours now. (maybe not the salsa though  :z7)
The mocha is tasty and the reel seat on the Loomis is perfection. My Loomis had sh1te cork too. The white blank is starting to appeal too....
My whole reasoning (what little reasoning that I have) is that I liked the wee eight footer that I used at Haddo all those years ago and I am looking at a local loch south of home that is a lovely six mile stroll to go right round the edge and a wee three piece rod might be the thing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the really excellent 9' #4 Guideline Fario that I am currently using but there is something drawing me in these bloody rods!

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 20/01/2015 at 10:39 »
I have a mate who only uses glass rods. I won't fish near him incase his tackles "oldness" infests my latest super duper nano whiskered low resin carbo-kinetic creation ;)

And on a serious note, Sandy, as ever, superb work.

I am getting my cork from a chap in Portugal. He has some interesting "stains" that I have started to play with :)

Those reel seats are lovely. I tend to use metal seats for the rods I build purely because they are for bigger reels and may end up in the salt too, but wood seats are awesome and those ones are double awesome.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com