Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Colin Mckinnon

wading boots
« on: 10/01/2015 at 22:06 »
Hi folks

Been member of the forum for a few years now.And know this is the best place for advise  :z16

Ok.I have been fly fishing for a few years now and exclusively on fisheries..
well this year im taking the plunge( metaphorically only i hope) and going to try some river fishing.
just got some shinny new Simms chest waders from Santa.Boot foot jobs.
getting to the point.I need wading boots. Questions- 

A. Not sure what boot sole to go for? studs,felt or rubber compound..   ( be Don mostly i plan to fish if that helps)
B. Do i order a size bigger than my normal shoe size to allow for the wader sock ?

I've lots more questions about my initiation to the river fishing but one thing at a time ! :z4

Thanks in advance

Jeff Donovan

Re: wading boots
« Reply #1 on: 11/01/2015 at 00:04 »
Hi folks

Been member of the forum for a few years now.And know this is the best place for advise  :z16

Ok.I have been fly fishing for a few years now and exclusively on fisheries..
well this year im taking the plunge( metaphorically only i hope) and going to try some river fishing.
just got some shinny new Simms chest waders from Santa.Boot foot jobs.
getting to the point.I need wading boots. Questions- 

A. Not sure what boot sole to go for? studs,felt or rubber compound..   ( be Don mostly i plan to fish if that helps)
B. Do i order a size bigger than my normal shoe size to allow for the wader sock ?

I've lots more questions about my initiation to the river fishing but one thing at a time ! :z4

Thanks in advance
Why would you need wading boots with boot-foot waders? Perhaps you mean santa brought you "stocking foot" waders... :X2

Colin Mckinnon

« Reply #2 on: 11/01/2015 at 00:28 »
 :X1 indeed taffy. good spot thanks  :z4  stocking foot waders. 

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #3 on: 11/01/2015 at 00:39 »
My personal choice of boot would be Korker Guide, these come with inter-changeable soles...studded felt & normal treaded. It is usually the norm to purchase wader boots 1 size larger than your everyday shoe size, however, it is advisable to try-before-you-buy if at all possible.....good luck in your pursuit.. :z16

Colin Mckinnon

« Reply #4 on: 11/01/2015 at 01:02 »
thanks Taffy.Ill have a look at their website.flexibility on the sole type sounds good..ideally id like to try them on with my waders if possible. so ill check if local stockists. :wink

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #5 on: 11/01/2015 at 01:25 »
Dyceloon, I think that the Korkers Guide boots are a discontinued item unfortunately  :X1. There are a few available on a well known auction site!  (reasonably priced too!) Korkers have upgraded since I bought mine & their website is in the USA, as for UK retailers, sorry I can't help  :z8

Will Shaw

« Reply #6 on: 11/01/2015 at 14:09 »
Think you can still get Korkers through Orvis?

W.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 11/01/2015 at 14:32 »
Good question :z16

I moved on from standard bootfoot waders because I simply found them too slippery in the river, I spent more time on my backside than standing :z4

I found a similar problem with felt soled wading boots, not in the river this time, but on the grass banks ....... on my backside again :z4

I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions from everybody, I'm really pleased with my Orvis ones: http://www.orvis.co.uk/p/river-guard-ultralight-mens-wading-boot/2a98

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #8 on: 11/01/2015 at 14:47 »
hiya,
whichever Patagonia model with these soles with studs added. i very much doubt you'll find a better grip and safety in your waters than these. you'll usually find good deals at GAC. (Glasgow Angler)
cheers,
marc

Colin Mckinnon

« Reply #9 on: 11/01/2015 at 17:49 »
Hi Marc ,
Thanks for the advise on these.Had a look on-line.They look like the river walker model.
Think this type of sole would be ideal for me with removable studs. 
Im down in Glasgow in a couple of weeks and i know where the GAC is, so ill take waders down with me and see what they have.

Mike, Taffy and Will.Many thanks for your reply's also     :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 11/01/2015 at 17:52 »
Good idea ..... try before you buy, for the fitting part of the exercise :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 11/01/2015 at 20:01 »
hiya,
whichever Patagonia model with these soles with studs added. i very much doubt you'll find a better grip and safety in your waters than these. you'll usually find good deals at GAC. (Glasgow Angler)
cheers,
marc

I'd second that, my river walkers are now 2 years old and still great, i use mine un-studded but sometimes studs would be nice, its all a bit of a compromise based on where you fish.

:z18

Sandy

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #12 on: 12/01/2015 at 08:15 »
i use mine un-studded but sometimes studs would be nice, its all a bit of a compromise based on where you fish.
yup, as an example, on the Don i did ok without the studs (but would have preferred to have them) whereas on the Dee i was literally sliding downstream during several crossings. (interesting and slightly unsettling feeling   :roll :z6 :z4 ) good thing Campbell was there as support !   :z12

btw, this model is even better than the Riverwalkers. http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/ultralight-wading-boots-sticky?p=79295-0

cheers,
marc

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com