Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kevin Moss

Glen of Rothes trout and Coarse fishery

This will be the last report for the year 2014 but we will still be updating on our web and facebook pages as normal,especially when weather conditions are bad.
After a very good year, apart from a minor blip at Millbuies due to problems outwith our control, fishing has been really good at both fisheries.The fish quality has been superb and anglers have seen some cracking fish being caught with the average size of fish being well over the 3 lbs and nearly every day has seen fish of 4 lb plus being caught .There has been no problems with weed on either water and we will always maintain our waters that way so as anglers enjoy a good day.Many anglers have acheived personal bests in their fishing which is great for the sport.The flytying evenings have been good and its always great to see people progress with their tying and we will continue the evenings on a monday night from 7pm starting again in January for anyone interested and everyone is always welcome to come and join the group no matter what stage your at or even just beginning,dont let that deter you.The Club has gone from strength to strength and has alot planned for next year with weekends away fishing,club competitions,inter club comps and days away.The Agm will be in Feb 2015 and its important for members that this is your club and its you who decides what and how things happen and its not the commitee who run it on your behalf.New memberships will be considered as from February.Improvements to facilities continued through the year with the road and its potholes of the past, have been sorted and the surface is now the best it has ever been and will continue to be kept this way,the new entrance has helped and large vehicles can easily access the fishery without any problems turning.New platforms have been added to the coarse loch due to its popularity this year and it has seen its best year yet,alot of fish have been caught over the year and they have come on over the years and are healthy and in prime fighting condition.Pathways around the loch have been dug and made easier to get around and at each peg  there is enough room dug out for poles and bivis to be set up with ease on every peg.2 new platforms will be in place early next year. There is no doubt that next year should be a good year on the coarse loch again.It is satisfying to see it grow as it was always going to be a long process as fish had to breed on to suit our temperatures and this takes time and years but its finally getting there now with a great selection of fish ,rudd,roach,Carp all species,ide,gudgeon and perch all doing well and getting to a good size.

Going into next year we have improved facilities and more to be done next year, with a disabled friendly seating area where visiting anglers can sit and enjoy the view on good days and evenings with our new deck area which is easily accessable for wheelchair users along with platforms carefully situated on the water where they can enjoy fishing.The shop now has alot of new clothing ,tackle and a huge array of fly tying materials along with other things for the angler.Millbuies has had a good stocking of Brown trout and  this should appeal especially in evenings on the dry fly.The Glen will continue its healthy stocking of fish, as already seen this year.For next year on catch tickets only and outwith any competitions,we will ask that your first fish caught is to be killed,providing it is at least over 1lb 8ozs below this you may return it to grow on and then select fish after this.This is the only addition to our normal rules and if in any doubts please ask before fishing if unsure.Overnight fishing and camping is available throughout the year and just needs to be booked.All ages and levels of experience are always welcome and help is always available. 

We will be closed on the 23rd,24th,25th and 26th December open 27th,28th and 29th and then closed again on 30th,31st,1st and 2nd Jan and open as normal on the 3rd for the new season.Our race evening will be on the 27th at 7pm for members and invited guests which should be a good night.Our web and facebook pages are updated daily with pictures and all you need to know for your day out at either fishery.

I would like to thank all the staff at the Glen and Millbuies who have been tremendous and also all anglers everywhere, especially those who have supported both our fisheries over the year and we wish you all and your families a Merry Christmas and safe and prosperous New year.   

Mike Barrio

Re: Last report of the year Millbuies and the Glen
« Reply #1 on: 14/12/2014 at 14:33 »
Great stuff Kevin, I've enjoyed reading your reports throughout the year and will hopefully head up for a visit in the Spring :cool:

I hope you enjoy the festive season and wish you all the best for 2015 :z16

Mike

Kevin Moss

« Reply #2 on: 14/12/2014 at 18:13 »
Thanks Mike be good to see you.Maybe have a crack at the browns in Millbuies,hell knows there is enough in there now lol.With the blues and rainbows  to go in yet should be great.
Still plenty of fishing to be done yet at the Glen with good numbers being caught today and a few over the 4 lb mark as normal.Milder air coming this week should help and mean some work can get finished off.

Have a good one Mike. :z18

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 15/12/2014 at 16:41 »
Great stuff Kevin, I've enjoyed reading your reports throughout the year and will hopefully head up for a visit in the Spring :cool:

I hope you enjoy the festive season and wish you all the best for 2015 :z16

Mike

Mike

Give me a shout if you re going to Kevin's place, i'll tag along if I'm home.

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 15/12/2014 at 16:52 »
Will do Jim :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 15/12/2014 at 17:13 »
Mike

Jim

Jim,

are you home over the festive period?  I am coming home on Thursday and Steven is also coming back from Singapore. I am in Scotland until the 6th of Jan if you fancy a cast sometime.

Eddie.   :z18

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 15/12/2014 at 20:30 »
Eddie
Ships that pass in the night mate, I fly out on the 18th  :cry
Catch you next season sometime.

Jim

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 17/12/2014 at 23:35 »
Mike

Jim

Forum outing???????? Didn't we touch on this before, i'm sure Kevin offers a deal on fishing both waters?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 18/12/2014 at 15:25 »

Forum outing???????? Didn't we touch on this before, i'm sure Kevin offers a deal on fishing both waters?

Get the day right and I'm up for it, Millbuies would be a great place to go for a trip out :z16

Sandy

Colin Sunley

Re:
« Reply #9 on: 18/12/2014 at 20:19 »
Sounds cool

Kevin Moss

« Reply #10 on: 19/12/2014 at 11:41 »
Hi all.Any help we can offer you lads just let us know.I know a lot of you enjoy float tubing and we amy even have a look at allowing this as a one off as long as they are all clean and not been used on waters where are known to contain argulus.We would have to limit for your enjoyment numbers though as its only 16 acres of water.

On another note we are pleased to see that Tom who helps here has his charity in the news.Although he is based at the Glen and Millbuies it is completely separate from the fisheries and we are only happy to supply the venues for the charity to operate .It is aimed at all youngsters under the age of 18 with learning difficulties and disabilities so as they can gain confidence and it is also aimed at helping former servicemen and women with problems such as PTSD and disabilities from service to give them a hobby to help them,This is something I am only too happy to support and help.If you know of anyone that this can help please get in touch with Tom.For more information on the Charity you can view it at www.fishingwithtom.com

Toms email is fishermanL2@aol.com or tel number 07759469032 and any help you can give him would be appreciated.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com