Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Colin Sunley

Landing nets
« on: 06/12/2014 at 14:01 »
Looking for a landing net  that doesn't break the bank, simple foldy type but are attachable to belt or vest , large fish expected

Rob Brownfield

Re: Landing nets
« Reply #1 on: 08/12/2014 at 08:11 »
Looking for a landing net  that doesn't break the bank, simple foldy type but are attachable to belt or vest , large fish expected

Wychwood all the way. Under £40 and very well made. The Rover Trout net is a large net. The sea Trout version is bigger. I think Mike has one of the trout version which he found to be on the big size for normal river fishing

The Gye net version, although not flippable, comes with an attachment to be hung off the d loop on a vest as well as a shoulder strap.

Whoever found my brand new one at Garthdee will vouch to its quality!!  :mad

Colin Sunley

Re:
« Reply #2 on: 08/12/2014 at 14:45 »
This worries me a little Mike had one which fell to bits this year,  but thanks worth a look.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 08/12/2014 at 14:50 »
Fell to bits? I did not know that? I know a few folk that use them for Barbel and the likes down south with nothing but praise.

Maybe Mike Hakka'd his to death ;)

Ok, discount the Wychwood...  :oops

Colin Sunley

Re:
« Reply #4 on: 08/12/2014 at 16:00 »
Just looked at them, there not to bad at all; there reasonably priced too,

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 08/12/2014 at 16:35 »
Hi guys :cool:

The pin fell out of mine ........... somewhere along the bank, before I'd even landed a fish with it :z4

But, all in all, it's a great net in an OK frame. I would just check the pin if you get one.

I do find the Rover Trout net a bit big for the river ( possibly designed by a stillwater bank fisher? ) but it will land a salmon with ease if the need arises :wink

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 09/12/2014 at 09:57 »
The Gye net I had and lost was sturdy, with no pins to loose :) Although I only had used it a few times, and only landed bloody Rainbows from the Dee in it, it was light, strong and functional.

I will be getting another before the season starts...as I need something else to leave on the bank again!..lol

Colin Sunley

Re:
« Reply #7 on: 09/12/2014 at 18:48 »
Purchase made, let's hope I don't add to trend of loosing or breaking

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com