Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Duncan Inglis

Loop Evotec 12' 6" for a #6
« on: 10/11/2014 at 20:46 »
Mike
Thinking about one of your switch lines for the above Loop rod, looking for something for low water salmon on the likes of the Esks, upper Dee etc. Loop rate the rod for a #6 and 24g, this from their website.
I'm looking for a full line.

Thanks

Duncan

Mike Barrio

Re: Loop Evotec 12' 6" for a #6
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2014 at 21:23 »
Hi Duncan,

The Switch 6/7 is about 24.5g, but the head might be a bit short for a 12' 6" rod? See http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-switch.html

Best wishes
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 11/11/2014 at 10:53 »
but the head might be a bit short for a 12' 6" rod? See http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-switch.html

yes, while it may be short by 'conventional' standards, the head length of the Barrio Switch on my Sage 5126 ZXL (5wt 12,6') is spot on for me :-)

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #3 on: 11/11/2014 at 19:49 »
Thank you both for your replies & info.

Mike
Are there any other lines you sell that you would recommend for this rod, the other "salmon" lines appear to be too heavy while the "trout" appear to be too light.
I'm used to spey casting, using the underhand cast and short scandi type heads with running lines and prefer these to the longer style heads, mainly Rio AFS and Guideline.

Marc
Are you spey/underhand casting with the Barrio switch line with your Sage?

Thanks

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 11/11/2014 at 22:49 »
Hi Duncan,

I don't think I have cast the Loop rod, but from what you describe and from other comments that I have read online, I think the Switch 6/7 should be nice :cool:

No, I don't think that any of the other lines within the range would be a better choice.
I have sent you a PM :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 12/11/2014 at 12:37 »

Marc
Are you spey/underhand casting with the Barrio switch line with your Sage?

Thanks

Duncan

yes Duncan, spey casts. the 5/6 Switch suits it very well. since the head's a wee shorter than usual for this rod's length the '6' part of the 5/6 makes it spot on weight-wise. i hope that makes sense ?
for overhead, i'd use a Barrio SLX or similar in 5 or 6wt. one back cast with just the head out and the whole line (and more) flies out  :cool:
cheers,
marc

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #6 on: 12/11/2014 at 16:28 »
Thanks Mike & Marc, I'm going to try the 6/7 switch and will let you know how I get on. I have three SLX lines and if the switch casts anything like them, they are brilliant, I'll be happy.

I'll update the post once I've tried the line on the rod.

Duncan

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #7 on: 16/11/2014 at 18:47 »
Tried the Loop rod with the 6/7 Barrio line, just on grass so Spey casts were indicative only, having said that the line appears to suit the rod beautifully. With an overhead the line felt slightly heavy but shot out to just short of the backing, another brilliant line from Mike Barrio.

Mike
Given that these lines could be used primarily on smaller rivers and/or low water, have you thought of making them with the head in olive green like the SLX, or do you think it makes little difference.

Duncan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com