Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Simon Hall

Tying equipment advice
« on: 05/11/2014 at 11:40 »
Hello,
I'm thinking about tying my own flies (never done it before), and wondered if you could advise me on whether to buy individual bits of kit (like the vice etc) or to buy a beginners kit?

Mike Barrio

Re: Tying equipment advice
« Reply #1 on: 05/11/2014 at 18:44 »
Hi Simon,

I wouldn't recommend buying a kit, you'll normally find that you won't use most of it and that it doesn't contain what you actually needed.

Firstly I'd try to come up with a list of about a dozen patterns/flies that you'd like to tie :wink

Then you can look at the materials you'd need for these patterns and the tools, especially a decent pair of scissors.

Best wishes
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 05/11/2014 at 21:32 »
Good advice there Mike, also try to find someone who can help you with the basics.

Will Shaw

« Reply #3 on: 05/11/2014 at 21:35 »
I think the Veniard Beginners Guide to Fly tying book is a good idea, you can buy a pack of materials to tie the flies in the book (no redundant materials!). Not too pricey either.

Have a look here (bottom of page):

http://www.veniard.com/section17/fly-tying-kits-and-boxes

You could buy their beginners tools too, or get them separately. Agreed a good pair of scissors is important (maybe get them from a sewing dept of a dept store - prob. cheaper!).

W.

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #4 on: 05/11/2014 at 23:15 »
An interesting book that you may also find helpful is.... http://www.first-nature.com/books/patoreilly1.php where the author lists 7 patterns, which should give you an idea of what you need to tie for a season's fishing.  :z16

I also agree with what has previously been said as to regards of tying equipment & materials, sound advice!  :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 06/11/2014 at 07:33 »
Also worth looking on YouTube, some excellent videos available. For the ultimate, Davie McPhail, but his tying may be a bit complex for a total beginner. https://www.youtube.com/user/DavieMcPhail

There are many others and I find watching a tutorial is many times better than looking at photos in a book.

If you pick a pattern you want to tie and then search in YouTube you should find it.

The fly I was told to tie first was a Black Pennel. It can be used pretty much anywhere and it covers many of the basic tying principles.

Simon Hall

« Reply #6 on: 08/11/2014 at 12:49 »
Thanks everyone for the advice, all taken on board.  Would anyone recommend a decent vice - there is a huge range out there, and obviously don't want to go for the top end, but equally don't want to buy something substandard that I'd replace soon after buying.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 08/11/2014 at 19:53 »
Hi Simon

I'd go for a Snowbee flymate (non-ball joint) standard G-clamp vice to start with, great vice that will last for years and won't break the bank. :z16

Will's advice on the materials and book is good for a start, until you know what patterns you want. :z18

Cheers

Sandy

Simon Hall

« Reply #8 on: 08/11/2014 at 21:00 »
Hi Sandy,
Thanks very much for that, a snowbee is now on my Santa list!  One of the reasons I'm wanting to tie my own flies is a post you put up for Don trout flies on this forum.  I found this year that I was having more success with the more 'skinny' dressed flies which are difficult to buy.  I appreciate your ad'vice', and I'm looking forward to the challenge ahead, and am under no illusions that it'll be easy, but sure it'll be rewarding (eventually).
Cheers
Simon

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 09/11/2014 at 10:33 »
Simon

I simplified things even further this year and it paid off :z16.  There will be a post along during the winter sometime, so hopefully it will give people a few more ideas. Slim is the way to go (most of the time :wink) so i understand why you are going to make your own, But its the start of another consuming passion that has stages all of its own, its a fun journey so enjoy it  :z18
Good scissors make the trip a whole lot more pleasant :z16

Sandy

Peter McCallum

« Reply #10 on: 09/11/2014 at 16:33 »
Dr slick do nice scissors which are not too dear. I'd go with sandy vice too I used one for years (with ball joint.... turns a gkkd little vice into b****y nuisance Mr snowbee) and it works well. Where are you based as there may be tying clubs or tyers close to you who can help .

Simon Hall

« Reply #11 on: 11/11/2014 at 14:58 »
Thanks guys, building quite a list for Santa :z16

Been watching some Davie McPhail videos on Youtube and looking forward to giving it a go, and doubt it's as easy as he makes it look! :z14

I'm based in Blackburn (Aberdeenshire one), are there any clubs you may know of localish?

Simon

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 11/11/2014 at 15:21 »
Thursday night at mastrick community centre around 6.45 - 7.00. Talk to Kevin Muir or Buchan Chesney when you get there.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 11/11/2014 at 16:29 »
Thursday night at mastrick community centre around 6.45 - 7.00. Talk to Kevin Muir or Buchan Chesney when you get there.

Great stuff Peter :z16

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #14 on: 14/11/2014 at 20:24 »
I have a Regent lever vice, it's done me the last 10+years,I had an ordinary lever vice before that, I have a pair of Tesco Craft scissors these are identical to the Veniard soft grip ones but only £1.76p,dont buy crap hooks, and don't get caught up in the material buying thing or you will end up needing a new house,
but enjoy it , The books that started me were W Davies "Tackle Making and fly tying" and Eric Taverners " Tying Flies for trout", Veniards books are good as well, easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com