Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Epic DH11..... I'm intrigued.....
« on: 25/10/2014 at 10:29 »
Seem to recall from info on a social networking site that Rich is getting one of these http://swiftflyfishing.com/collections/epic-fly-rod-blanks/products/epic-dh11-two-handed-salmon-blank put together at the moment, but has any forum member actually tried one :?

What was it like ??? I'm intrigued. I don't dislike the single handers but they're not really my cup of coffee. However, the double hander does interest me.

H

Mike Barrio

Re: Epic DH11..... I'm intrigued.....
« Reply #1 on: 25/10/2014 at 10:34 »
Haven't tried one Hamish, but I have a blank as a winter project :wink

I'm also intrigued by the grain window that Carl gives for this :z3

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 26/10/2014 at 08:14 »
I'm also intrigued by the grain window that Carl gives for this :z3

Oddly enough..... it kind of reminds me of what you used to see on the side of fibreglass B&W rods (and their early carbon ones, to be fair) something like 12' #6-12wt  :wink
OK, the Epic isn't quite that extreme in terms of grain window but I'm very keen to try one out. I'd like it longer, 11'6 is just a wee bit too close to a Switch rod size for me, and perhaps that longer rod will come. In the meantime, I'll wait for you to get yours finished Mr B :wink

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 27/10/2014 at 12:42 »
Grain window is only confusing as line sizes have also been given.  Simply put, for a "Scandi" type head go towards lower to middle of grain window, Skagit mid to upper end of the window, presuming here that it will be used two handed.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 27/10/2014 at 22:20 »
Have you cast yours yet Rich?

Graeme Inglis

« Reply #5 on: 20/11/2014 at 19:55 »
I had mine out on the Tweed last Monday, it worked quite well with one of Mike's 5/6 Switch lines, but I think it would perform better with the 6/7.  I tried an 8/9 shooting head earlier but that was way too heavy so I'm not quite sure how they came up with such a wide grain window.

Graeme

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 21/11/2014 at 09:56 »
I'm not quite sure how they came up with such a wide grain window.

pretty sure it has to do with being able to use a wide variety of lines types, Skagit-Scandi-Switch with their inherently different leaders, tips and fly sizes and weights.
cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 21/11/2014 at 10:04 »
Can you tell us more about what your first impressions of the rod on the water are Graeme?

Cheers
Mike

Graeme Inglis

« Reply #8 on: 21/11/2014 at 19:51 »
Mike, my first impressions are good, with the 8/9 it was overwhelmed by the line, but when I put your 5/6 switch on it was transformed.  On the Tweed there was a blustery upstream wind which didn't help and I had a 5ft fast sinking tip on.  I was on the South bank so (because I cant cast left hand up, medical reasons  :roll ) i was double speying, the action was good, powerful and light to handle and it covered the water well.  I was comparing it to my 12' 6" Echo that I bought your 5/6 for (a cracking combination) and I felt that the Epic could have performed better with a bit more weight in the line.  My overall impression is that it has great potential, although I'm not sure how it would deal with a skagit.  I will be intrigued to hear what your team think of it.

Cheers,

Graeme

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 21/11/2014 at 22:31 »
Great stuff Graeme :z16

Might be a while before mine is built and I get a chance to get on the water with it, but I'll let you know how I get on :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 02/01/2015 at 12:08 »
...... but I have a blank as a winter project :wink

How is this progressing Mike.... winter has only got 6 months left :z7 :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 02/01/2015 at 21:06 »
Hi H

The rod is whipped and ready for epoxy, but it has to wait in line :wink

The handle is custom though, with a titanium seat :z3

So hopefully Mr B will see it in the next couple of weeks :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 02/01/2015 at 22:34 »
Looking great Sandy :z16

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 02/01/2015 at 22:39 »
I look forward to seeing it in the 'flesh' so to speak :!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 02/01/2015 at 22:51 »
I look forward to seeing it in the 'flesh' so to speak :!

........... and having a play :z12

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com