Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kym Goldsworthy

Line for an Epic 476?
« on: 19/10/2014 at 10:24 »
Hi Mike
I know you've cast a few of the Epic glass rods. Any thoughts on which of your lines would best match the 7'6" 4wt? I would have picked the SLX but love to hear what you reckon.
Kym

Marc Fauvet

Re: Line for an Epic 476?
« Reply #1 on: 19/10/2014 at 10:51 »
hey Kym,
SLX 4 & Smallstream 4 are absolutely perfect for that rod. perfect matches  :z16
cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 19/10/2014 at 11:57 »
Hi Kym,
Yes, both the lines that Marc suggested are nice on the Epic :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Kym Goldsworthy

« Reply #3 on: 19/10/2014 at 12:22 »
Thanks Mike and Marc
Appreciate your thoughts.
Ah, decisions, decisions. To be honest, I hadn't considered the Smallstream so now I have a bit of thinking to do.
I'm probably more likely to be throwing a small tungsten nymph or two than tiny dries and I'll be taking it to NZ as soon as I can negotiate some man-leave.
Hmmmm...
cheers
Kym

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 19/10/2014 at 12:41 »
I'm probably more likely to be throwing a small tungsten nymph or two than tiny dries and I'll be taking it to NZ as soon as I can negotiate some man-leave.

in that case i'd take the SLX as main line for your nymphs and maybe more for the more-than-probable wind and the Smallstream on the spare spool for when you need to cast the lighter stuff.
this is exactly my setup. i'm not in NZ but i live in a long valley that goes from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean and there's always wind, often very strong... from one side or the other. the SLX handles bigger or heavier flies better and does much better in wind.
inversely, the SS is better at smaller/lighter imitations and tends to give gentler presentations.
with both you have the best of both worlds on an awesome rod :z16
cheers,
marc

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 19/10/2014 at 19:29 »
in that case i'd take the SLX as main line for your nymphs and maybe more for the more-than-probable wind and the Smallstream on the spare spool for when you need to cast the lighter stuff.
this is exactly my setup. i'm not in NZ but i live in a long valley that goes from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean and there's always wind, often very strong... from one side or the other. the SLX handles bigger or heavier flies better and does much better in wind.
inversely, the SS is better at smaller/lighter imitations and tends to give gentler presentations.
with both you have the best of both worlds on an awesome rod :z16
cheers,
marc

Totally agree with that :z16 the same goes for all the Epic blanks match the SLX or SS to the line weight for the blank and you will love it. I've used nothing else all season :z18

Sandy

Kym Goldsworthy

« Reply #6 on: 20/10/2014 at 03:56 »
Cool. thanks everyone, particularly for the advice about the wind.
There'll be another order incoming soon, mike.
kym

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #7 on: 20/10/2014 at 08:21 »
glad to help. hope your trip goes super-well !  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com