Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Fishing Bags
« Reply #15 on: 13/10/2014 at 14:40 »
I can get you these if you want...on issue to us now.

Heavy, cumbersome and not much use...but what would you expect of the Ministry of Defence?  :z6

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #16 on: 13/10/2014 at 14:56 »
you're supposed to shoulder the rifle against those strap buckles ?! nice thinking...  :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #17 on: 14/10/2014 at 07:36 »
you're supposed to shoulder the rifle against those strap buckles ?! nice thinking...  :z4 :z4

You have to remember, a lot of kit designed for the military is by people holding the purse strings rather than those actually using the stuff.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 14/10/2014 at 10:21 »
I would like to be able to do this with just a jacket ....................... any suggestions?

Euan Innes

« Reply #19 on: 14/10/2014 at 21:01 »
Orvis pro guide jacket Mike.
Plenty pockets, very comfy, great hood. And it is actually waterproof!
Not cheap but worth it. I just like the chest pack for warm days and carry my packable Orvis jacket in the back pocket next to the water.
I couldn't find a one solution fits all situations way of carrying all my stuff, what little there is. Marcs chest pack was close but the Umpqua has a string pocket for the water.

:z1

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #20 on: 14/10/2014 at 23:43 »
Marcs chest pack was close but the Umpqua has a string pocket for the water.

there's plenty of space for a hydration bladder and strap thingies to hold the tube :wink
anyhow, what makes the WJ so special is the pull open / snap shut magnetic closures of the two front pockets.
as far as i know no other company has this.

once you've had snap you never go back...  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #21 on: 15/10/2014 at 18:33 »
I guess I'd really like something like the Ron Thompson jackets, but better quality?

Euan Innes

« Reply #22 on: 15/10/2014 at 22:23 »
once you've had snap you never go back...
:z4 :z4 :z4
Definately horses for courses Marc. I do love my Umpqua!  :z16
Especially the camera pocket. You have no idea how many times I have failed to get my camera out because it is buried away inside a jacket or waistcoat.
One thing we do have in common with both packs is the deep wading ability, something that was very important to me. If the water reaches my pack I am in too deep!
I see in this months Trout and Salmon that Peter Hayes has the same pack and expensive, over-engineered nippers! Top bloke that Hayes chap...

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #23 on: 29/10/2014 at 12:32 »
Waterproof Mike or just practical?

Just a thought, but there are some good quality windproof military jackets available with plenty of pockets. The one that springs to mind is this one... http://www.huntingandmilitarystore.co.uk/sas-smock-windproof-sniper-military-army-jacket--dpm-camo-14-p.asp Even has a large rear pocket for waterproofs and so on.

If you are willing to spend a little cash, there is a company called Special Air Sea Services in Lancaster that will take a standard jacket and add pockets to your hearts content. They do a plain green version of the previous SAS windproof which can be custom modified. You will not get better quality and UK made.

Another is Dixies Corner http://www.dixiescornermilitarysupplies.co.uk/pimp-my-smock-61-c.asp Again, well respected in the military world and the quality is superb.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 29/10/2014 at 13:05 »
Thanks Rob, interesting gear and designs, but I just don't like wearing camo clothing for some reason :z16

I'd like something waterproof ........... but have stopped looking for the moment and will probably start again in the spring.

Cheers
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #25 on: 29/10/2014 at 18:43 »

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #26 on: 30/10/2014 at 08:59 »
Thanks Rob, interesting gear and designs, but I just don't like wearing camo clothing for some reason :z16

They do plain green or tan :) The material is high quality cotton gabardine and is shower proof as well as windproof :) Using a cotton proofer every year keeps it waterproof.

Anyway, there is a gap in the market....another project mike? ;)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #27 on: 03/11/2014 at 19:59 »
It's all your fault Rob :z13 ..... Every website I visit nowadays pops up adverts for bullet proof vests and sniper gear :X1

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #28 on: 04/11/2014 at 00:43 »
It's all your fault Rob :z13 ..... Every website I visit nowadays pops up adverts for bullet proof vests and sniper gear :X1

I've fished parts of the lower Don that I'd argue the vest is needed...    :z4

:z18
Steven

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #29 on: 19/11/2014 at 07:37 »

:z4 :z4 :z4  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com