An insight in to how a David Norwich EV2 Carbon Fibre Fly Rod is made :cool:

Rob Brownfield

Re: How do you make a fly rod blank?
« Reply #1 on: 26/09/2014 at 07:14 »
 :z16 :z14

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 26/09/2014 at 13:04 »
all that messy work when you can just go out and buy one...  :z4  :shock  :X2  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 26/09/2014 at 13:08 »
I hear you can even by a blank with handle, fittings and guides already on them. I believe they call them a rood, or rid or something like that ;)

I hope there is an increase in "Micro rollers" so that we can get access to nieche blanks. It's getting harder to find fishing blanks from the major manufacturers...we don't all want stupidly stiff casting sticks ;)

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 26/09/2014 at 16:11 »
or just take those super-stiffies and add sticky-back lead foil here and there along the blank...  :z4

Hanneman (the CCS guy) for a while had something he called a 'Feel-Fixer' which if i remember correctly, consisted of weighted tip top to slow down faster rods !  :X1

Lasse Karlsson

« Reply #5 on: 27/09/2014 at 20:50 »
Hi Marc

Not a weighted tip top, but different pieces of lead and sticky tape to put them on with... Have the full set  :z13
And I know people who do similar to enhance their rods... Each to each own...

Cheers
Lasse

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 29/09/2014 at 07:17 »
Could you not just fit heavier guides rather than stick lumps of lead to the blank?

Graeme Inglis

« Reply #7 on: 14/10/2014 at 22:28 »
Unfortunately for us David has now retired from rod building, i am lucky enough to have known David for many years and have several of his rods.  His full story is a very interesting one especially on his development of carbon fibre rods, not always the easiest man to get on with, but with a great sense of humour, his skills are rare and have to be admired and he is a loss to the technology of rod building.

Graeme

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com