Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Simon

« on: 19/08/2014 at 10:54 »
Hi there, I have recently moved to the Aberdeen area and I'm keen to get to know more about the fishing. I'm told this is a good place to start!  I've already tried fishing on some of the Aberdeenshire council stretches of the Don, without a lot of success I have to admit. Any advice on tactics and decent places to fish would be very welcome. I'm not sure I can offer much in return except perhaps my enthusiasm and a willingness to share my own experiences. I'm happy enough to drive an hour or more in any direction to go fishing. Work and family do make big demands on my time, but I try to get out when I can.

Many thanks

Mike Barrio

Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: 19/08/2014 at 11:19 »
Hi Simon

Welcome to the forum :z16

Most beats on the Don hold some nice trout, certainly nothing wrong with the Council stretches in my experience. If you look back through the River Don 2014 thread, I'm sure you'll notice that things appear to have slowed down a bit over the last month or so. I have continued to walk the banks in search of rising fish, with very limited success recently ...... but I'm confident that it's all about to happen :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Colin Sunley

« Reply #2 on: 19/08/2014 at 12:05 »
welcome aboard the Sky Lark.
As mike said it's hard going,  Very hard Going in Some places, :mad 
An it seems winter is upon us already so I expect it wont get any better, :z8  Ah well there's always next year to try all those new tricks I learned this year.

Colin 

Simon

« Reply #3 on: 19/08/2014 at 16:31 »
Thanks for the replies, I feel better now I know it's not just me!  :z4  I'll stick with it and any suggestions for flies or technique to try would be very gratefully received. I am dead keen to get out and try new waters, some wild loch trout fishing would be nice too. I'm not expecting anyone to tell me about their special spots, but any general guidance would be appreciated or advice on where to get information.  Thanks again.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com