« Reply #2 on: 09/09/2014 at 12:16 »

Marc Fauvet

Re: Sandy's Custom Fly Rods
« Reply #3 on: 09/09/2014 at 12:59 »
lovely builds indeed. i wouldn't hesitate for a second  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 05/07/2015 at 21:38 »
I have updated Sandy's page with some new photos ...... Check out these awesome builds :z16

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/sandy-nelson-custom-fly-rods.html

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 06/07/2015 at 08:16 »
Can't wait for when he gets a bit better and starts building  on carbon blanks  :X2 :X2 :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 06/07/2015 at 16:59 »
Just for you Rob

So you see, sometimes, just sometimes :z4 :z4

These are this years R and D project, probably going to offer both next year as they are equally as good , but different :z3

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 06/07/2015 at 17:00 »
Superb :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 07/07/2015 at 08:29 »
Next you will be using Duplon and lined guides...you rebel!! ;)

Liam Stephen

« Reply #9 on: 18/12/2015 at 22:12 »
I christened my 686 today! Perfect day for it as well, mild  with a light wind.  Sandy the rod is an absolute canon, super smooth and very accurate to boot. The rod handled everything I threw at it from heavy lures to lightweight nymphs and dries. Seriously good job dude!!  :z16

3 cast into my session and this beauty took hold:

11 fish later the 686 had proved itself! It does it all and then a bit more.

Thanks Sandy
 :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 18/12/2015 at 22:56 »
Great stuff Liam :cool:

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #11 on: 19/12/2015 at 04:25 »
Liam,

I don't suppose you are keen for meeting up for a day of stocky bashing over the winter?

For whatever reason I really want to like these rods but I just couldn't get along with dads build from Sandy as it was much too slow for me but I'm really keen to try some others in the range.

To even out the deal I'll bring along my sexyloops hot torpedo 6 for you to try if you havn't had a throw of one already.

If you like ultra fast cannons you are sure to love it! Mine has handled everything from seatrout/grilse, chinook, bows, peacock bass, giant gurami, giant snakehead and everything in between and has taken them all in its stride. I have no idea how any rods I have owned/played with over the years but if I had to chose one rod that does everything Paul's rod would be it.

Even my Dad likes it and he's one of those mannies who seems to enjoy waiting days for a rod to load!

Cheers,

Steven.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #12 on: 19/12/2015 at 09:47 »
Steven  :z16

Absolutely, I like a bit of company/banter whilst fishing! After new year I'll get in touch with you to arrange.

I can relate to what you're saying about your dads rod as I also have the 376. It's lovely for the purpose I got it for (small burns, little-ish fish and lightweight flies) although I've used it on Bows and had a couple of nice brownies on it!  :shock
The 376 is very slow in comparison to the 686. I think you will like it!

I plan to use it for everything next year from Sea Trout in the salt,  Salmon/ST in the rivers, Rainbows, Mackerel and maybe even early season Brownies ( after seeing how delicately it lands a small dry). I'd say it's up to it the task! There's some amazing pics of the rod in action on the Swift Fly Fishing FB page. Guys are landing everything from Carp to small Tuna on the 686!

Liam

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 20/12/2015 at 10:43 »
That's cool Liam

I told you it was a very different animal. really pleased you like it :z16

Steven.

Like Liam says the 376 your Dad has is perfect for jungle warfare on small streams, it does bow and arrow stuff, etc really well, It is not really a normal size river rod, although Liam has made it work rather well this year :z18

the 686 is a real cannon, but still requires you to slow your casting action, think of it as lazy power. The crispest action is the 476 which is about perfect as dryfly rod (building a demo one for this year for me to use :z3) and 580 is the all rounder.
they are all quite different and worth playing with as they do help a lot with presentation casts on the river. Not so hot for reaching for the moon although they will if you figure out how. They are meant to be fun to fish with and its not so much about the casting side of things, but the Control, hooking ability and playing of fish especially on light tippets that makes you keep going back to try it again. It took me a wee while to get used to them but something kept me going back to try again and it definitely improved my casting with other rods when I use them. The smoothness is the key.

if you fancy trying one give me a shout I have a 580 demo and as mentioned, hopefully a 476 demo for this year. :z16

Sandy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #14 on: 20/12/2015 at 21:02 »
What Sandy said!!  :z7

I have found that with these rods the lazier the better! The more laid back with your stroke you are the better the rods preformed. Let you rod do the work and relax :z4 But seriously it does work!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com