Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Tam Greenock

Summer Ice Fishing
« on: 10/08/2007 at 22:49 »
This is happening at Millbuies just outside Elgin this Sunday, 40 people will fish ten at a time on specially made platforms that are made to represent holes cut in the ice, the sort of thing you see Eskimos doing, Jimbob and me have entered so will report back how we got on.
Fun starts around about 11am and there will be a Barbecue as well, its open to the public.

Mike Barrio

Re: Summer Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: 10/08/2007 at 22:54 »
Cool  :z12

Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 11/08/2007 at 01:00 »
I guess you get to use bait then? Casting a fly through a wooden ice hole surrounded by 10 anglers might be a tad tricky  :z7

Best wishes
Mike

Tam Greenock

« Reply #3 on: 11/08/2007 at 10:01 »
Aye, l bought some wax worms which are bigger than maggots, we get supplied with a line and hooks but l am going to use a weighted fly to get down with a couple of buzzers on droppers, and just put some wax worms on to them  :z15

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2007 at 08:48 »
Hi Tam

How did it go then ........... Did you catch a good few ?

Did you get any photos? Difficult to imagine what wooden ice platforms would look like  ???

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

JIMBOB

« Reply #5 on: 13/08/2007 at 14:19 »
Mike

Tam and I enjoyed the ice fishing. I really didn't find it a problem casting into the small hole in the ice!!!!! I caught one, gave it the priest, removed the hook, laid the fish on the pontoon from where it very gently slid back into the water. I got a booby prize for it though.
Only about eight turned up for the day with only five fish caught. It was different if nothing else.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com