Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Simon Hall

Casting advice
« on: 15/08/2014 at 22:54 »
Hello.  After many years I got back into fly fishing again this year on the Don. I've spent quite a lot of time trying to improve my casting, which I think I have, but could do with some advice.  I have a 9'6 #6 rod with a #5 line (the shop I bought the rod and line from suggested it), and with a 9'6 leader, I can cast the fly out approx 45 feet. Is this generally a good distance for the kit I have,,or would you suggest taking lessons?

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Casting advice
« Reply #1 on: 16/08/2014 at 06:09 »
Sye,

I have been fly fishing for over 40 years and I consider myself to be a reasonably competent caster, however I still have the occasional visit to a competent instructor as you can always improve your technique. All professional sportsmen employ coaches and I think it is money well spent on a couple of hours with a competent qualified instructor. There are even some on the forum. You will not regret it.

Eddie. :z18

Simon Hall

« Reply #2 on: 25/08/2014 at 12:48 »
Thanks for that Eddie, you are right.  I'll get some tuition at the beginning of next season as I won't have much time before the end of September to get out on the river.  Can you recommend anyone?
 :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 26/08/2014 at 04:39 »
Sye,

Ben Dixon who is on the forum and used to work at the Orvis shop did a lot of instruction and is very good. I am not sure if Ben still does this as he has a new job these days. If Ben reads this post I am sure that he will let you know if this is still possible. If not there are any number of instructors available, just make sure you find one that is qualified to a proper standard.

Eddie.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 26/08/2014 at 10:23 »
Thanks for the recommendation Eddie  :z16

I do still teach Sye, please drop me a PM.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com