Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mackay53

Landing net
« on: 01/07/2014 at 20:47 »
Hi,
    Looking for some advise on landing nets I expect most of my fishing to be lochs,Haddo,lochter etc.I am under the impression you do not want one with a knotted net as this damages fish.Iwas having a look at Sharpe,s and Greys but open to sugesstions.
Alan

Rob Brownfield

Re: Landing net
« Reply #1 on: 02/07/2014 at 09:38 »
Knotted nets are now illegal (I think that applies to scotland too).

You have two options, knitted and rubber. Rubber is great as it shakes dry, does not harbour parasites etc but can be heavy on larger nets. Knitted is the standard and for a loch I would recommend the finer mesh.

Have a look at the Wychwood range of nets. Very well made indeed with a reasonable price. I am using their Salmon Gye net and I love it. I think Mike has the Rover. They also do some nice bags to pop the net into to keep the car clean.

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/landing-nets-folding-nets-mesh-nets_219.html?filter_brand=Wychwood&filter_sortby=name+asc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 02/07/2014 at 10:01 »
The Rover is a superb net for fisheries and for catch & release :z16

I'm finding it slightly too big to use comfortably on the river though, wearing it on your back it catches on the bankside vegetation a lot while you are moving around :z6 although I still like the fact that it will easily cope with fish of all sizes :z3

Sharpes really need to think about their netting, deep narrow bottomed nets with large holes which are certainly not ideal for catch & release. I bought one of their salmon ones, it hasn't been wet yet as I'm not keen to use it ...... If any of the forum regulars would like the net and can collect it, you can have it.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 02/07/2014 at 10:37 »
Sharpes really need to think about their netting, deep narrow bottomed nets with large holes which are certainly not ideal for catch & release. I bought one of their salmon ones, it hasn't been wet yet as I'm not keen to use it ...... If any of the forum regulars would like the net and can collect it, you can have it.

The Sharpes salmon net has found a new home :z16

Mackay53

« Reply #4 on: 02/07/2014 at 12:19 »
Disapointing to hear Sharpes nets not ideal I try to support uk manufacturers where I can will have a look at the Wychwood rover.any other suggestions welcome
Thanks guys
Alan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 02/07/2014 at 12:37 »
Disapointing to hear Sharpes nets not ideal I try to support uk manufacturers where I can

Remember that it is just my personal opinion Alan. But I did speak to them about it a few years ago at an angling event.

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 02/07/2014 at 12:43 »
Disapointing to hear Sharpes nets not ideal I try to support uk manufacturers where I can will have a look at the Wychwood rover.any other suggestions welcome
Thanks guys
Alan

If you want UK, then Fastnet is designed and made here. I have one of there original Carp quick fold nets. Must be 20 years old now and still going strong.

http://www.fastnetsports.com/trout-gye-landing-net.html

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 02/07/2014 at 13:10 »
This all reminds me of something that I have been meaning to do.... my boat net (a Sharpes as it happens) is bright silver around the frame.
I keep meaning to paint it black, matt black, to subdue it a little as I have seen myself the benefits of a 'low flash' net.
Might do that tomorrow  :z16

I would suggest to our original poster Alan that making a net choice is very much a personal thing...... that said if I were buying for the waters you mention I would make sure my prospective purchase would be both telescopic and a good size; that sort of net will last you most of your fishing everywhere.
I like the McLean weigh nets but don't own one, wee bit steep to buy but they have an excellent reputation and I have coveted one for some time.
Like the look of the ones Rob has out a link up for too.

H :cool:

Mackay53

« Reply #8 on: 02/07/2014 at 14:03 »
Both the Fastnet and the Mclean look fine ,Have to vist somewhere to see them in the flesh round or D shape ?
Alan

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #9 on: 03/07/2014 at 08:27 »
having just bought one of these recently..i really wish i had bought one much sooner!

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/mclean-telescopic-hinged-handle-weigh-fishing-net.html

sure they are expensive but if you combine the purchase with something like the orvis £25 pound off voucher like i did, then that makes it a bit more reasonable.  Mine did break but a quick email to the guys at Mclean (new zealand!) and they airmailed out some new bolts/nuts immediately :) It really is a cracking net, telescopic makes all the difference if you really want to make landing fish more 'easy' IMO.

cheers,
J

Mackay53

« Reply #10 on: 03/07/2014 at 09:17 »
Planning a trip to somers today to have a look looks like they stock that one,there isnt a source of vouchers I dont know about is there.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 03/07/2014 at 09:33 »
Mine did break

:X2

Was it a bolt that snapped where the head folds out?

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #12 on: 03/07/2014 at 10:42 »
no stock of vouchers unfortunately, but if you sign up to orvis mailing lists etc you get things in the post every 6 months or so. 

I think the nut just 'fell off' mine rob, but that also resulted in a bent bold by the time i noticed it 'hanging on' after a trip out one night. thankfully i never lost the whole head!

for future reference to anyone interested, the screws they use are 3mm machine screws (M3), 40 mm long, with a nyloc 3mm style nut. I still wasn't happy with the 40mm length they sent me as a replacement, so bought some 50mm ones of ebay and am much happier with the length of these  :z16

Mackay53

« Reply #13 on: 03/07/2014 at 18:26 »
Had a look in Somers didnt like the action of the Gyle type nets some of there stock is away to the game fair at Scone

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com