Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Carp.... in the Highlands!
« on: 29/06/2014 at 19:12 »
Today I was able to take up an invite I've had for over two years... to fly fish for Carp in the Highlands :! Epic fun, as I had other commitments at home I was only at the lochan for an hour but had three to about 8lbs. Each was special in its own right.... but with my camera my host took these pics of my first:

I regret that I am not at liberty to say where the lochan is but I can tell you it is North of Inverness and it is at about 800ft above sea level. Hardy wee buggers :! Great scrap too, I hope to be invited back  :z16

:z13

Mike Barrio

Re: Carp.... in the Highlands!
« Reply #1 on: 29/06/2014 at 19:14 »
Great stuff Hamish, looks like fun :z16

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 29/06/2014 at 20:50 »
Cool :z12

Certainly does look like a lot of fun :z16

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 29/06/2014 at 22:09 »
It was a bloody great hoot as they go like little turbo charged nutters  :z13

H :cool:

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 29/06/2014 at 23:10 »
That looks great! A new species on fly for you?

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 29/06/2014 at 23:30 »
Certainly was Noel  :z16

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 30/06/2014 at 09:57 »
Looks like great fun H.  I take it that this isn't a commercial fishery but rather somebody's personal pond?  If so I need to win euro millions so I can make me own!   :z4

Cheers

Matt

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 30/06/2014 at 10:46 »
Quite right Matt, it's a private water which has been 'crafted' carefully over twenty years.
I can't wait to go back  :cool:

H :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 30/06/2014 at 13:21 »
H,

looks like fun, what flies were you using?

Eddie :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 30/06/2014 at 14:37 »
Eddie.... it was tied on a size 6 Roman Monser barbless grey shadow streamer hook (really :!) and looked suspiciously like the big lumps of bread I chucked in the water to see if the carp were about  :wink
If you can't picture what I mean, think of a baby doll with a plastazote back..... I'm thinking about calling it the Hovis Doll  :wink
I donated the fly (and spares) to my host.

:cool:

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 01/07/2014 at 09:22 »
H,

many thanks, I was wondering if it would be some sort of bread imitation. Were you using saltwater gear?

Eddie  :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 01/07/2014 at 10:11 »
Hi Eddie,
The rod is my 'precious' a 9'6" #6wt Helios matched to an Abel reel loaded with a Barrio 'Point and Shoot' prototype (went on to become the SLX) so pretty much the outfit I use for summer Salmon fishing and the one I passed my SGAIC Instructors course with :z16
Tell you what, those carp went well for their size :! I know there are doubles in the lochan, so am really looking forward to going back :z18

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 01/07/2014 at 12:26 »
H,

many thanks for the info.

Eddie.  :z18

Allan Liddle

« Reply #13 on: 02/07/2014 at 10:37 »
That looks amazin Hamish, green eyes this end been on my 'must do sometime' list for ages, although i kinda felt you needed to travel to France to get the best chance at this type of sport?
Looks a crackin wee water.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 09/07/2014 at 13:22 »
and looked suspiciously like the big lumps of bread I chucked in the water to see if the carp were about  :wink

Suggest a "corixa" tied on a size 8 or 6, with a body of white egg yarn (tied like an egg fly) and a brown foam back. Works wonders and the egg yarn spreads out in the water looking very much like bread.

Remove the foam back for a slow sinking "flake" effect. Deadly for Norfolk Mullet too.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com