Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

tight lines

Advice please on fishing the Don
« on: 25/06/2014 at 22:06 »
Looking for some advice please.
My daughter and family have moved to Torphins and I'd like to do some evening fishing on the Don for Trout. I plan to fish on either 9th/10th July and either 6th/7th Aug. I'm not at all familiar with the area and basically would be pleased to receive any advice/recommendations on where to fish the Don, the closer to Torphins the better. I prefer evening fishing into the gloaming and like good wading conditions. Also advice on where to obtain permits, preferably on the evening of arrival as obviously fishing will be dependant on weather/river conditions, and therefor I would prefer not to purchase in advance and then find the river unfishable, as has previously happened elsewhere!! Hope to hear from some forum members in due course with recommendations.
Kind regards and tight lines.

Colin Sunley

Re: Advice please on fishing the Don
« Reply #1 on: 25/06/2014 at 23:33 »
Alford is just over the hill from there, so your looking at the upper Don beats,  Have a look at Fishpal.com you will be able to get tickets from there for some of the beats but not all of them, but if you do a little detective work you'll be able to find other beat names and where to get the tickets, Then Google maps is a good tool, oh and fishpal will have some beat maps as well, 
Once you know where you want to fish, pop back on and you might get some more info on the beats from other peeps on here,
but Kemnay, Fetternear, Manar,  Alford are easy reach from Torphins  but then so is the Dee, again fishpal for research

hope that helps a little

Colin

tight lines

« Reply #2 on: 26/06/2014 at 18:25 »
Thanks Colin, info much appreciated. Just a few question's about the Dee which is only 2 miles from daughters house, my understanding was that it wasn't very good for brown trout fishing, could you clarify? On my last visit to daughter's, I popped in to the Banchory tackle shop and asked about the Dee for trout fishing and was told it would be better to fish the Don for trout as the Landowners on the Dee are not keen on trout anglers or words to that effect! I have a friend who fishes the Dee for salmon normally a couple of times each year and he has said that the Dee does not have a protection order on it and I could fish for trout at anytime. I find this hard to believe and have not been able to prove otherwise by researching the web, so any local knowledge you can impart on this query would again be appreciated.
Best regards,

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 26/06/2014 at 19:09 »
Hi ..............

From what you describe, I would imagine that the Inverurie Burgh Fishings and directly above that, the Manar Fishings, might be good options. Either permit could be sourced at Sloan's Tackle Shop in Inverurie during the afternoon of the day you wish to fish.

See http://fishingthefly.co.uk/inverurie-burgh-fishings.html

See http://fishingthefly.co.uk/manar-fishings.html

You can also purchase permits for Inverurie and Alford Burgh Fishings from the council website at any time of day http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/parks/fishing/fishing_season_permits.asp

Best wishes
Mike

Colin Sunley

Re: Re: Advice please on fishing the Don
« Reply #4 on: 26/06/2014 at 19:37 »
I can't comment on the state of the nation regarding the Dee and the trout in it, it is predominantly a salmon fished river, having said that a quick look on fish pall did show some beats to fish but seemed a bit expensive. The Don has over 30 miles of river to choose from, some places better than others in terms of accessibility, my advice would be to pick a spot and have a wonder down the banks., but Kemnay or Alford would be your best starting points

Alan Catney

« Reply #5 on: 26/06/2014 at 22:57 »
Kildrummy on the Don is a nice beat and not too far from Torphins.  Tickets via Fishpal or direct from the Kildrummy Inn.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 27/06/2014 at 10:42 »
Yes, Kildrummy Fishings and Semeil Farm Fishings would both be good choices if coming over from Torphins :z16

See http://fishingthefly.co.uk/kildrummy-fishings.html

See http://fishingthefly.co.uk/semeil-farm-fishings.html

tight lines

« Reply #7 on: 28/06/2014 at 12:46 »
Thank you to the Forum members for imparting their advice - much appreciated.  I now have a bit of research to do now, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I expect to be visiting the area on a monthly basis, so hopefully I will begin to pick up some local knowledge in due course, but it's always nice to know I have the Forum to fall back on for advice.
Thanks and regards.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com