Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Largest arbour fly reel
« on: 20/06/2014 at 09:29 »
Simple enough folks.... I was asked a question yesterday and I couldn't off the top of my head come up with a satisfactory answer.

The question was this (more or less) "which sensibly priced reel currently on the market, that is suitable for use on a single handed #8wt rod with a WF line, has the largest arbour :?"

I could guess several but, as I said, off the top of my head I was stumped. The chap who asked me the question doesn't know either.
That got me thinking.... does any one know :? :! The Wychwood Truefly http://www.wychwood-game.co.uk/subCategories.aspx?tier1=Reels&tier2=Truefly is on my list as it has a reasonably impressive arbour, but is there an 'extreme' large arbour reel ???

I dunno  :z8 be interesting to see what forum members come up with :z16

H :cool:

Sandy Nelson

Re: Largest arbour fly reel
« Reply #1 on: 20/06/2014 at 09:40 »
I'd guess the Loop Opti Speedrunner is possibly the largest arbour 8wt fly reel, its about  5 1/8" in diameter. :z16

Not sure of anyone else who does anythig that kind of size thats still a genuine 8wt reel.

Sandy

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 20/06/2014 at 13:18 »
in that line weight i'd bet Sandy's response wins.
in 4-5wt the Danielson Dry Fly probably has it in its category.
cheers,
marc

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 20/06/2014 at 17:14 »
Good call Sandy, that might be the puppy  :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #4 on: 20/06/2014 at 19:26 »
The new Lamson Speedsters are super large arbour reels. They are now doing a limited edition matt black one! Tempting....  :z16

Liam

Magnus Angus

« Reply #5 on: 22/06/2014 at 02:23 »
Have you found the website http://flyreelmania.free.fr/

Pretty much all reel makers are listed - great online resource.

You might like to check the hubless reels - I have a couple. (Hamish may like the Wooden reel section - reels which can be used as teething rings?)

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 22/06/2014 at 16:20 »
Nice Magnus, nice  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com