Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

pikeaddict

carp on the fly
« on: 12/06/2014 at 18:43 »
Hey guys I've chased pike on the fly for some while now and now its all quiet on the pike I'm looking at chasing carp on the fly , and was wondering what tackle you guys would reccomend for a novice like myself?

Rob Brownfield

Re: carp on the fly
« Reply #1 on: 13/06/2014 at 08:08 »
Where will you be fishing? (Not up here I take it?).

Worth having a look here http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/ezine/july-2010/fly-fishing-for-carp-henry-gilbey.php and here http://carponthefly.blogspot.co.uk/

I normally use a 9 weight (salt water) on the waters down by my folk in Norfolk, mainly because the carp get to well over 30 pounds. Biggest so far is a little over 20, and my god do they fight!

If you can find a water with fish in the high singles, low doubles, then a 7 weight would be more suitable. If fishing waters with BIG carp, then a 10 weight would not be too heavy.

Reels need plenty of backing! I use one with 150 yards of 30lb. A good drag is essential as you will get the fish running hard.

Flies for me are normally some sort of surface thing, either to look like bread or dog biscuits. I have yet to get a fish on something like a Damsel or Mayfly nymph, but that is a popular choice in the US. They also use leeches and crayfish imitations. Some waters down south have crayfish, so I would think they would work well.

Orvis has released a dedicated carp fly line this year, and Rio have done one for a few years. Both are WF designs with an olive finish. I reckon on of Mikes olive SLX lines would be ideal...I just have not got round to buying a heavy weight one. (I have #4's and 5's)

I have not had anything truely huge, the biggest a little over 20 pounds, due to lack of suitable waters up here...but I do know of two where big carp swim amoung the trout, and if you can find them, they are catchable (just not by me!!!). There is another water I have heard has them, I need to check it out!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com