Re: Scottish Gathering 2014
« Reply #45 on: 15/05/2014 at 13:09 »
Mark's new welded loop technology?

yes, a very Masterful one indeed !  :z4

Aitor

« Reply #46 on: 15/05/2014 at 14:07 »
very spot on, Aitor.

Moreover I can't think of anything more damaging, at least in Spain, than relating fly casting exclusively to distance. But, as the saying goes, common sense is the least common of all senses.

Will Shaw

« Reply #47 on: 15/05/2014 at 15:40 »
Moreover I can't think of anything more damaging, at least in Spain, than relating fly casting exclusively to distance. But, as the saying goes, common sense is the least common of all senses.

Ooh! ooh! A good chance to use one of my favourite quotes:

"Common sense is the most fairly distributed thing in the world, for each one thinks he is so well-endowed with it that even those who are hardest to satisfy in all other matters are not in the habit of desiring more of it than they already have."

Rene Descartes

Cheers!  :cool:

Aitor

« Reply #48 on: 15/05/2014 at 17:08 »
Very true Will. :cool:
Just notice that I wrote "at least in Spain", whose casting scene I know a little bit I think. :cool:

Ben Dixon

« Reply #49 on: 15/05/2014 at 20:03 »
Not quite sure you saw enough of the weekend if those are your conclusions, Aitor. 
None of the demos were distance focused at all and in fact, most were aimed at ground up teaching and there was a lot of useful discourse throughout the weekend on all areas of fly casting.  As usual, we helped each other out wherever we could and we all assisted anyone who asked.  Yes we had two shootouts, many of those in attendance were keen distance casters, I don't personally think there is anything wrong with that. 

The event was publicised as all the Gatherings have been, on the Sexyloops Board and on this forum and to my knowledge, there has not been a program for any of the Scottish Gatherings to date.  I probably gleaned more fishing and teaching information from the Spanish Gathering than I have from any other.  I totally fail to see how the weekend / week exclusively related fly casting to distance and I think most of the Spanish participants enjoyed their time.  I certainly enjoyed my time in Spain, we were all made to feel very welcome and I intend to return to fish as soon as I can.

Cheers

Ben

Aitor

« Reply #50 on: 15/05/2014 at 20:23 »
It's OK Ben. Glad that you enjoyed your time. Nothing further from my intention than to try to change the ways of the Scottish Meet.  :wink

I was just pointing to what, I think, are the reasons for the low number of "locals" attending. For instance the last casting meet in October gathered around 40 people.

Rich Knoles

« Reply #51 on: 25/05/2014 at 13:13 »
Aitor wants a fucking program?  :lol  FFS, Mate this is Paul Arden we're talking about.
Looks like good fun, none the less. Wish I could have made it. Airfare was prohibitive. Any Salmon fishing? 

Aitor

« Reply #52 on: 25/05/2014 at 15:17 »
Rich,

I will say it again:

I want nothing! Nothing at all! :z12

The question is that people in southern Europe are really strange. For instance some of our funeral parlors are funnier than other cuiture's parties. :z18 :lol

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #53 on: 25/05/2014 at 16:27 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com