Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Steve W

Which Barrio lines?
« on: May 20, 2014, 09:56:08 AM »
Hi

I am new to the forum, and Barrio lines are a recent discovery for me - my brother lives in UK (I live overseas but fished with him two weeks back on the Avon) and he is a keen Barrio fan.

So I want to upgrade a few older lines, and I would like some advice from the forum. I predominantly use a Red Truck Diesel 8'6" 4wt (medium fast) and a St. Croix Legend Elite EFW 9' 5wt (medium fast); leader length on the 4wt will vary between 8'-9.5' and on the 5wt from 9'-11', obviously this will be dependent upon what type of fishing I am doing, but in summary I am looking for an all purpose line for each rod. I am tempted by the SLX but don't want to make a choice without feedback.

I appreciate any advice!   :z8

Cheers

Steve

Rob Brownfield

Re: Which Barrio lines?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:07:45 AM »
River or still water?

Dries, wets or lures?

Size of fly?

What sort of casting (overhead, spey, roll etc?)

The above will help the "Yodas" of line choice help you :)
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 10:36:39 AM »
Hi Steve ..... welcome to the forum :z16

I would suggest trying our Smallstream WF4F for your 4wt and our Mallard WF5F or SLX WF5F for your 5wt :cool:

Best wishes
Mike Barrio
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Steve W

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 07:38:05 AM »
Hi Rob

The 5wt is somewhat of an all rounder for me, so mainly river fishing with occasional still water use. Flies will be a mix of wets, dries and nymphs, with sizes ranging from #6 to 18#.

The 4wt is used mainly on rivers with dry flies or nymphs, with sizes ranging from #10 to #18.

Cheers

Steve

Steve W

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 07:40:58 AM »
Hi Mike

Thanks very much for the feedback - in line with my thoughts. I have one question - what is the key difference in the field between the Mallard and the SLX?

Cheers

Steve

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 00:48:18 AM »
Hi Steve,

The SLX has more weight at the back of the head, which is more suited to roll and spey casting than the Mallard, it also has a slightly larger tip diameter and will manage large flies and very long leaders more easily.  The Mallard offers a softer presentation than the SLX, it has a longer rear taper which is more versatile for casting different lengths of line, but this does also mean that it can require more line in the air to get the same shoot as an SLX.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum

All content on this website is copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk