Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Artmann

Trip to Scotland and River Don
« on: 14/05/2014 at 12:10 »
Hello,

I visited Edinburgh last summer and it was fantastic and I wish to return to Scotland and put some more focus on fishing as the last trip was mostly sightseeing.

I've been looking at River Don as it seems like it has got some good trout fishing and I've mainly been looking at Monymusk, Kildrummy and http://www.thecolquhonniehotel.co.uk/.

One of the problems is that I probably wont have access to a car and will be dependent on public transportation so if you know of any places with housing near the river that would be great.

The other question is when? What part of the season is best for troutfishing. Big trout? Great dry-flyfihsing or whatnot.

I hope this post made some kind of sense and appreciate any kind of reply :)

Rob Brownfield

Re: Trip to Scotland and River Don
« Reply #1 on: 14/05/2014 at 12:23 »
Monymusk is administered via the Grant Arms Hotel. some of the beats are a short walk from the front door. Might be worth considering.

Artmann

« Reply #2 on: 14/05/2014 at 12:31 »
Yeah looking at the maps it seems like Grand Arms Hotel would be a good choise

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 15/05/2014 at 07:20 »
Hiya

April and May and the best months for finding the bigger fish with their guard down.
You'll get them all year but it is easier early on.
Public transport will limit your access to the river unless you stay somewhere like inverurie and fish the council beats, kintore and alford are on regular bus runs from the town and you can walk to river easily in each town. Some great fishing on all those beats as well and lots of accommodation.
The upper river has hotels with beats as you say. Lots of great water to explore at kildrummy and monymusk. Monymusk is easy by bus, kildrummy less so but the hotel might have a solution to that if you ask. Both beats are big enough to keep you entertained for a few weeks.

Cheers

Sandy

Will Shaw

« Reply #4 on: 15/05/2014 at 13:34 »
and http://www.thecolquhonniehotel.co.uk/.

You might want to look for another hotel. Not the best hotel I've ever stayed at.  :X2

Magnus Angus

« Reply #5 on: 15/05/2014 at 18:20 »
You might want to look for another hotel. Not the best hotel I've ever stayed at.  :X2

Will you are such a diplomat!

Artmann - that is Will-speak for the Colquhonnie is really bad - I booked 3 night and left after one (paid for 3) - poor/dated accommodation and truly awful food. Avoid that hotel!

Artmann

« Reply #6 on: 16/05/2014 at 07:14 »
Thanks for the info guys, It's really awesome.
Hopefully I will get time to come visit this summer :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com