Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

SharkFin

Also Wondering
« on: 10/05/2014 at 20:11 »
What Floating line should I use? For the river don?

Thanks

Hamish Young

Re: Also Wondering
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/2014 at 20:56 »
What sort of rod have you got :? What line weight :? What do you want from a line :?

H :cool:

SharkFin

« Reply #2 on: 10/05/2014 at 22:48 »
I've got a rod but going to buy a new one (too small) need new line btw when u say line do u mean the nylon bit that you tie the fly on or the other coloured line (not sure) if it's the nylon I've got 6lb breaking strain

Thanks
Fin

Colin Sunley

« Reply #3 on: 10/05/2014 at 23:25 »
Am assuming your Quite New to fly fishing so will try and help as best I can,  but am still learning myself as its and on-going thing.
Most on here are seasoned fly fisherman and have gone thru the trial and error scenario when it comes to fly gear, mixing and matching your line weight to rod etc. but most will have a set up that suits them and will have a few other rods that they will never use again, due to trail and error. so make some room in your cupboard for more gear:z16

So Most will tend to fish a 9ft #5 weight rod +/- a weight and size, but again it depends on what you feel comfortable with but a good rule of thumb would be to match the line with the rod manufactures, greys rod to grey line, etc ,  as they will have tested it and will know what's best for the rod.
get a simple floating line+ and perhaps another one with a sinking tip to start with and find the set up you prefer, the Nylon is the leader line and that's a whole new thread,  but generally a 6 pound line would suffice for most conditions.   
once your on the river you will meet people that will offer good advise on tackle, flies and rods, you can learn a lot from them and most of the ones I have met don't use this forum, So there you go you have another good source of information about river fishing on the river bank.
hope this helps in some way
cheers
Colin

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 11/05/2014 at 09:34 »
Good advice there :z16

Gear is very subjective as Hamish alluded too. But Colin has it about right for the Don, if thats where you are headed.
Only thing i'd add is use 6lb leader if its super strong/high tech nylons, if you are using normal tippet like Maxima then i'd be using 4lb
Most introduction type kits from a Manufacturer like greys are a great starting point, from there on its a slippery slope :X1

Cheers

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com