Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Electric outboards....
« on: 06/05/2014 at 18:21 »
What's your experience :?

I used one for the first time with Euan on a loch somewhere recently and it was really quite impressive ......until the battery went flat that is  :z7
Not enough to put me off though, I can see me getting one for the various lochs around me which don't allow petrol outboards.

Naturally I am drawn to power but am interested to see what other folk have found with their engines, I'm thinking of something with upwards of 55lb thrust.

Anyone :?

H :cool:

Peter McCallum

Re: Electric outboards....
« Reply #1 on: 06/05/2014 at 20:53 »
Limited experience H but same as you battery life is the problem. I'm told leisure batteries are the best and maybe 2 of them. Think they would be great for moving from drift to drift but as for distance you cant whack a petrol outboard.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 06/05/2014 at 23:33 »
Hamish

Its a compromise, the greater the thrust the shorter the battery life. To be honest in my experience the motors are all much of a muchness, despite the mink coater  :wink being twice the price.

The battery is as important as the motor and as Peter mentioned it has to be a leisure battery, these can cost almost as much as the motor, you will need at least 125 amp hours.

This is the battery I have , its not a bad price for a pair of them, also bear in mind a regular car battery charger is no good, these can also cost as much as the motor.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEAL-PAIR-2-X-XPLORER-125AH-HEAVY-DUTY-LEISURE-BATTERY-/120734871401

:z18

Jim       

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 07/05/2014 at 07:58 »
I might be able to access a source of marine leisure deep cycle batteries locally which, potentially, makes the whole idea viable for me.

...... despite the mink coater  :wink being twice the price.

Like your work Jim  :wink

H :cool:

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 07/05/2014 at 12:44 »
H,
I am with Jim. I work 2 leisure batteries and these are more than adequate for a full day on the limestone lochs. My motor is a 55 pound thrust model and I have used it for a good few years now and would not be without it any where there is not the option of petrol.

On wild and windy places like loch Lee the batteries can start to struggle towards the end of the day but at the very worst you are only rowing for a short while instead of all day in between drifts.

Eddie. :z18

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 07/05/2014 at 13:12 »
A very efficent tactic with an electric is stalking big spooky fish taking drys.... :z16

Duncan Inglis

« Reply #6 on: 07/05/2014 at 21:56 »
I used a 30lb thrust motor for years, not a quick as 55lb thrust obviously, but got you there and not that much slower. Just replaced with a 45lb Minn Kota Traxxis, got to say impressed as it seems to make the battery last longer, despite having more power - have a look at their blurb on the web.
I use a 110 amp leisure battery and have no issue with it. Charger is important and after spending money on various "Halfords type" chargers, some costing over £70, I was pointed in the direction of CTEK chargers, I've been using one for 4 or 5 years now with no problem, not cheap but they are definitely the best I've used and charge the leisure batteries with no problem.
Electric motors are great for stalking trout and I've used mine on slow speed to keep the boat drifting along a bank, wouldn't be without one.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 08/05/2014 at 09:45 »
Used them on the Broads with a certain well known guide down there. Petrol engine to get to the spots, switch to electric to sneak about in the shallow water using a foot operated throttle.

The boat was a shallow draft aluminium jobbie and I would imagine a typical scottish Loch boat would really test a battery, especially in a wind.

No problems with a battery lasting all day with that combination.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com