Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

don?
« on: 31/07/2007 at 10:26 »
Any 1 cought anything on the don in the last 2 weeks then.lYK to hear if any1 has been catching anything .Cheers

Jay Scott

Re: don?
« Reply #1 on: 31/07/2007 at 10:53 »

A gentleman caught a 16 and a half pound salmon at Mannar still sea liced and lost another one that same night. A lot being caught on the Dee, i think there was 20 caught last Monday. The bait fish are coming into the shores as well so they shouldn't be far behind.

Jay

Kev Danby

Re: don? (not quite)
« Reply #2 on: 31/07/2007 at 12:09 »
And how many did you end up with on Sunday Jay?? I saw the rod bend once

Jay Scott

« Reply #3 on: 31/07/2007 at 13:44 »

Was that you? You should have said hi, i had 9 yourself?

Jay

Kev Danby

« Reply #4 on: 31/07/2007 at 16:18 »
I did mean to but never fully caught up with you. I had 10 on spiders and dries, should have been more but lost a few and missed a stack of takes on the dry.

I rarely go to Insch these days but as it is only 5 mins away and was itching to give one of Mikes 3 weights a maiden outing. I've had it since March (waited until after my B'day).

Needless to say the rod was excellent I had forgotten just how good the rod is even in the wind it cast the DT3 superbly. You were on the metal platform on Kelloch I was down from you hooking and losing a good few, they were looking up and close to the bank.

If you get chance to try one of the 3 weights then go for it but be warned these rods can seriously damage your wallet.

Hats off to Mike and Sandy for producing a fantastic rod for a realistic price.

The main stock fish seem a bit smaller than I remember but better for it in my opinion they fought fine enough.

« Reply #5 on: 31/07/2007 at 23:28 »
Cheers guys.Hey jay what do you mean the bait fish are coming in sorry dont understand m8 cheers.Was down tonite and cought 2 and a half pounder browny no sign of anything else .Cheers

IanTaylor

« Reply #6 on: 01/08/2007 at 10:34 »
The mill gardener caught a 7lb salmon down on the Stoneywood Papermill water yesterday  :z16

« Reply #7 on: 01/08/2007 at 12:07 »
Nice niced salmon hopefully there are alot on there way :):):)

Bakerboy

« Reply #8 on: 01/08/2007 at 13:44 »
Does anyone have an idea of the prospects of catching a Salmon near Alford be at the weekend?
What would be a suggested pattern,type of line etc for this time of year.
Weather forecast is warm and sunny (that makes a change) - water level should still be up?

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 01/08/2007 at 16:53 »
Does anyone have an idea of the prospects of catching a Salmon near Alford be at the weekend?

Not bad, quite a few good fresh fish about. Where you thinking  :?

What would be a suggested pattern,type of line etc for this time of year.

Small tubes (say 1/2 inch to 1.5 inches) and flies in 6 or 8 depending on height, river is fining down nicely so maybe start off small. Patterns, I'd try a Squirrel & Orange, Gold Bodied Willie Gunn, Allys, Cascade if there's colour and if a lot clearer then Silver or Thunder Stoats Tail, Black Shrimp would be worth a hurl  :z17
I stick to a floating line and 9ft/12ft polyleaders depending on the flow but almost certainly the quick sink leader at the moment. An intermediate would probably do just as well if you don't have the polyleaders.

Weather forecast is warm and sunny (that makes a change) - water level should still be up?

It has droped back a fair bit, but there should be plenty of water still by the weekend  :z15 :z15 :z15 :z15

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com