Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Magnus Angus

Re: Buy cobblers wax in UK?
« Reply #15 on: 24/04/2014 at 11:20 »
How curious Marc. The Legion must use a traditional stitched shoe/boot? Go to a typical shoe repair shop here and they offer to cut a key and glue a shoe. None of the one's I spoke to had even heard of wax used in shoe making or repair.

So now when you see Legionnaires in the street you'll be staring at their feet?

Magnus

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 24/04/2014 at 15:20 »
i stopped by the shop this morning, apparently they're almost exclusively using the sticky dark brown wax for repairing boots and stuff for the Foreign Legion post that's outside of town.

He must have a good memory as the FFL stopped wearing the brown Palladium boot with replaceable soles just after Gulf War 1. (1990-91). They went onto black high legs and now use modern versions in brown by Meindl, Haix and Kestral, depending on deployment requirements (sandy/jungle/temperate).

The Palladiums fetch good money on the open market, £2-300,  if you can get your hands on some from the boot repair place! :)

You could be on a gold mine!!

Bloody horrible things!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #17 on: 26/04/2014 at 20:49 »
Make your own with beeswax and resin, about 3:1 beeswax to resin, some has a tiny bit of pitch in it, easgach 1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com