Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Buy cobblers wax in UK?
« on: 22/04/2014 at 11:10 »
Hi

Do you know any good source to buy cobblers wax in UK from? I want it for tying classic north country spiders. I found one guy in US that makes a popolar wax, Bill Bailey, but I havnt found it here in Europe. Some bag pipe shops have something called cobblers wax, but is it the same kind of wax?

danbruce

Re: Buy cobblers wax in UK?
« Reply #1 on: 22/04/2014 at 11:19 »

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 22/04/2014 at 13:06 »
I got some from Vienards if I remember correctly.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #3 on: 22/04/2014 at 13:40 »
or go see your local shoe-smith...  :wink

Magnus Angus

« Reply #4 on: 22/04/2014 at 15:09 »
Unlikely you'll find any in a shoe shop Marc!

I got some from the shop at The Bagpipe Centre http://www.thebagpipeshop.co.uk/
It's used by pipers to dress cord wound round chanters. The stick I got is exactly like the stuff I had years ago - dusted with chalk - wrapped in grease proof paper - very satisfying :)

Funkyfly tying make a good cobblers wax - decent recipe - look a bit like a sweetie but does the job
http://www.funkyflytying.co.uk/shop/products/cobblers-wax/404/

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 22/04/2014 at 15:41 »
Some bag pipe shops have something called cobblers wax, but is it the same kind of wax?

Ah, missed that bit...there are 2 types of "cobblers" wax used for pipes, sticky and hard. The stuff you want in made in the US (not Scotland...strange I know). A chap called Ted Anderson makes his own, it is by far the "stickiest" black wax you will find. I think his company is called Ted Andersons Pipe Supplies...or something close.

The stuff you tend to get here in the UK is much harder and not as sticky. When I am doing the drones on the pipes I have to heat the wax a little to get it to actually stick to the hemp. You may find the same with thread.

Realised, it was GAC I got mine from, not Vienards... http://www.fishingmegastore.com/-cobblers-wax~490.html
Vienards was tiers wax, not cobblers.

Torrish

« Reply #6 on: 22/04/2014 at 21:14 »
Tom C Saville have some

Peter McCallum

« Reply #7 on: 23/04/2014 at 11:31 »
Bagpipe centre as per Magnus's post  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 23/04/2014 at 13:16 »
Bagpipe centre as per Magnus's post  :z16

You can get locally via Scotch Corner in Turriff or Neil Selby in Peterculter.

Magnus Angus

« Reply #9 on: 23/04/2014 at 13:21 »
That's local to you Rob - where is the OP?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 23/04/2014 at 13:42 »
That's local to you Rob - where is the OP?

Europe I believe, but as we have locals buying from far affield it seemed logical to suggest places in Aberdeenshire which would also do mail order to Europe for the OP, probably at a better price than the rather commercial Bag Pipe Centre in Edinburgh.

« Reply #11 on: 23/04/2014 at 16:00 »
Thanks for the tips! I ordered a piece from Funky yesterday. I googled it a bit and people seem to like it, and I also saw some nice pics of an olive body by Funky´s cobblers on yellow gossamer :-)

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #12 on: 23/04/2014 at 17:21 »
Unlikely you'll find any in a shoe shop Marc!

sorry dude, i should have written cordonnier as i found mine at the local shop in France...  :X2

Magnus Angus

« Reply #13 on: 24/04/2014 at 05:14 »
"...the rather commercial Bag Pipe Centre in Edinburgh"

Rob

It's in Glasgow. It's a shop, like the two local shops you mentioned? Just as the wrong Veniard wax you suggested first is only available through rather commercial shops? And just as the GAC stuff you gave a link to is from a rather commercial shop - and the block of Cobblers wax from GAC is a penny less than the stick of Thermowax from the Piping Centre.

(I happen to like the black, I like the colour it gives on threads, I feel the brown is too yellow - personal preference.)

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #14 on: 24/04/2014 at 10:05 »
sorry dude, i should have written cordonnier as i found mine at the local shop in France...  :X2

Magnus,
i stopped by the shop this morning, apparently they're almost exclusively using the sticky dark brown wax for repairing boots and stuff for the Foreign Legion post that's outside of town.
i guess i was lucky as the old-timer told me that otherwise he hadn't used it in 40-50 years.
cheers,
marc

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com