Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mark Zhang

My first DHE
« on: 15/04/2014 at 12:27 »
Tied my first DHE last night, but I can't control the seals fur. I twisted them together(not easy), once open the hand, they almost all expanded again. Tried to tie a few as photo shows, then cut the extra, but it is nothing looks like you guy's. Did I just bought a very poor quality seals fur (not soft)? Help, please? Cheers.

Tight lines,

Mark

Allan Liddle

Re: My first DHE
« Reply #1 on: 15/04/2014 at 13:38 »
Looks like some splay in the wind and it's sittting in the right position.  Body / thorax far too heavy though.  Try rabbit fur or hares mask instead of seals fur, or even just thread body and pich of SF for thorax.  :z16

Mark Zhang

« Reply #2 on: 15/04/2014 at 15:27 »
Thanks. I just cannot twist the seal fur to the line, but I've got a hares mask. I will give it a go later. Cheers.

Tight lines,

Mark

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 15/04/2014 at 16:25 »
A friend of mine once described selecting dubbing thus, "take a small pinch of dubbing, as little as you need then divide the dubbing into two equal bunches. Take one bunch and return it to the packet. Now take the second bunch and rub it in your hands to roughen it up. Now take this pad and again divide into two bunches...... and yes put one back into the packet  because you will then have the correct amount". As you seem to have discovered seals fur can be difficult to dub if its adult seal which is very stiff and wirey so as Allan says use hare as it is much easier to work with. Something which may help is to moisten your fingers with saliva as you spin the dubbing this acts as a glue and lets you get the stuff to stick

Mark Zhang

« Reply #4 on: 16/04/2014 at 07:20 »
Thanks for the tips. I will give it a go later. Will let you know the result. Cheers.

Tight lines,

Mark

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com