Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Tippet
« on: 11/04/2014 at 10:42 »
After using a particular brand for the past two seasons and just not getting on with it at all, I have just bought two spools of Frogs Hair. Anything I should watch out for?

Peter McCallum

Re: Tippet
« Reply #1 on: 11/04/2014 at 18:05 »
Keep an eye on iain cameron and his frogs fanny,  may be some naughties if they get together  :X2

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 11/04/2014 at 18:23 »
What were you using Rob?  I've gone back to Orvis Super Strong, for river trout stuff and still on Mirage for salmon.  Both work well for me.

Frog Hair tapered leaders are excellent, not used their tippet for many years.

Cheers

Ben

Scott Cumming

« Reply #3 on: 11/04/2014 at 19:21 »
Froghair supple butt leaders + Froghair Tippet  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 11/04/2014 at 23:17 »
Hi Ben, sorry to say it was the Orvis SS in 6x and up. In nearly 40 years of fishing I have never come across a line that hates me so much!! and I have been using co-polymers for float fishing for years and years.

I use the Mirage for salmon and never had an issue!

Iain Cameron

« Reply #5 on: 12/04/2014 at 09:29 »
hi Rob

Tried Frog Hair for a while; hated it, found it too prone to going all curly (frog pube hair?!).

This season I've used 3lb/1.4kg Maxima Ultragreen as my tippet, and not had an issue with it. Perhaps not the thinnest, but it's thin enough (0.15mm/0.06inch). Probably has a breaking strain >3lb. Been fine with spiders to size 16 and dries 12-14

cheers
iain

Scott Cumming

« Reply #6 on: 12/04/2014 at 10:18 »
Tried Frog Hair for a while; hated it, found it too prone to going all curly (frog pube hair?!).

That must of been a dodgy spool Iain, I've never had a problem with it curling! It does go off quick though, I always bin any surplus at the end of the season.

I've tried most of the others including orvis ss but keep going back to froghair. I use 4.9lb a fair bit which is the same diameter as the 3lb maxima, well almost @0.152mm

Cheers
Scott

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 12/04/2014 at 14:43 »
Hi Ben, sorry to say it was the Orvis SS in 6x and up. In nearly 40 years of fishing I have never come across a line that hates me so much!! and I have been using co-polymers for float fishing for years and years.

Rob,

What size of flies are you using that requires you to go to 6X and what rod where you using them on?

Cheers

Ben

Iain Cameron

« Reply #8 on: 12/04/2014 at 18:18 »
I've tried most of the others including orvis ss but keep going back to froghair. I use 4.9lb a fair bit which is the same diameter as the 3lb maxima, well almost @0.152mm

i'll give it another try sometime. Probably user error. I have old spools of 4x & 5x - will give em a swim before binning them

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 13/04/2014 at 00:14 »
What size of flies are you using that requires you to go to 6X and what rod where you using them on?

Hi Ben, I am using 6x for size 16 and 14 DHE's, F Flys etc on my ZG 4 weight, my 3 weight XP or for spiders, my 4 weight 10 foot noodle of a Western.

Its not the rods as the line is just giving way at the knot when tying the fly on (Blood knot, tucked blood knot or grinner). On the 4x I am having it pop when trying to use a 4 turn water knot to tie a dropper.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 13/04/2014 at 01:08 »
Hi Rob,

For the #14's I'd be on 4x, 4x or 5x for #16's I only go to 6x for sub #18's

I never have an issue with 3 turn water knots, try that and I never tuck half bloods and they never fail.  5 turn untucked half blood works fine for me with 5 or 6x.  For me, tucked bloods tend to break and so do 4 turn water knots when used for droppers.

Cheers

Ben

richard859

« Reply #11 on: 22/04/2014 at 20:31 »
I've gone back to Maxima clear, as I honestly feel it does not make any difference to the fish, only the angler.

My home water Rutland is very clear, and the fish don't seem to mind the £4.50 I pay for 100 meters. What I love about true nylon is how the knots bed down and don't fail. 6lb will break at 8lb roughly.

Worth a try surely?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 23/04/2014 at 07:31 »
I've gone back to Maxima clear, as I honestly feel it does not make any difference to the fish, only the angler.

My home water Rutland is very clear, and the fish don't seem to mind the £4.50 I pay for 100 meters. What I love about true nylon is how the knots bed down and don't fail. 6lb will break at 8lb roughly.

Worth a try surely?

Trouble is, its dry fly I am fishing, so I want something fine. Maxima was a favourite of mine for carp and chub fishing as its as tough as old boots, but the Brownies up here are not impressed :) For wet flies I have gone back to drennen Sub Surface.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #13 on: 08/05/2014 at 13:09 »
Trouble is, its dry fly I am fishing, so I want something fine. Maxima was a favourite of mine for carp and chub fishing as its as tough as old boots, but the Brownies up here are not impressed :) For wet flies I have gone back to drennen Sub Surface.

Hardly use anything else than green Maxima 3lb (rivers) 4lb (lochs) and i can assure you brownies up here are very impressed.  Used it for years and results stand up for me.
Suspect it has been understated on BS i.e 3lb is higher etc and yup a wee bit chunkier than others but not too bad.

Use other stuff for crystal clear low water and spooky fish, thankfully that's an exception.

suki1312

Re: Re: Re: Tippet
« Reply #14 on: 08/05/2014 at 20:46 »

Worth a try surely?
Man after my own heart been using maxima for donkeys years now . Never had a fish mind that it wasn't some overpriced peice of Chinese flourocarbon ;D

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com