Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

Practical streamside use of Frog's Fanny
« on: 09/04/2014 at 20:07 »
Frog's Fanny. It's a powdered desiccant. Brilliant stuff - restores your CDC flees, no matter how slimed they are/were.

However, it comes in a useless mini-bottle with a pull out brush, guaranteed that the powder will go everyewhere except on yer fly... the powder is so fine & light that it just floats away. Try using it in a wind/breeze.... aaaaargh!!!

So, I'd kinda given up on using it, except at home where I had some decanted into an old 35mm film canister. Would drop a fly in, shake it up, voila, pre-treated fly.

Small moment of inspiration. Attached the film canister to my vest (cord through the canister, then through the lid) then a large loop so that you can loop it to a handy D-ring or similar on your fishing vest.

And, yes, that's that. You can pop off the lid - it stays hanging on the cord, hands free. You can dunk the fly into the powder; you can dip your fingers in, then rub the powder into the fly; or you can tilt the canister coat its side, then brush the fly along the sides. Basically, it lets you use the powder outdoors.

Using good doses of FF (I wipe off the fly first with a towel/rag) means I can use the same fly pretty much all day long. ANd have done so recently - one CDC emerger caught 6 or more fish, got drowned, slimed, trashed, but was resurrected.

So, has anyone got any spare 35mm canisters to share? I've got a quart of FF sub coming in the post to trade...

Rob Brownfield

Re: Practical streamside use of Frog's Fanny
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2014 at 07:24 »
You used to be able to get something from Japan, Shimiaki or something like that, which was the same stuf in a transparent green tub. You dropped in your fly, located your leader in a notch, put the lid back on and shook it. Perfect every time. Not seen it in years.

Might be worth nicking a small V in the edge of the tub so you can do the same?

Iain Cameron

« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2014 at 13:19 »
hi Rob

Yes, i'd thought of that, and it's an OK method  - but it indiscriminately coats the whole fly. Not ideal for an emerger pattern, where I want a soggy butt. 

For CDC based flies, using my fingertips to work the powder in to the fly has been perfect as I am fluffing the feathers up at the same time.

cheers
iain

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2014 at 22:05 »
35mm canisters packed for tomorrow  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com