Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Wading staffs
« on: 04/04/2014 at 07:56 »
After spending the last couple of days nursing bruises from my adventures on Wednesday
Coupled with my "moment"
I have come to the conclusion that with age should come some sense and that a wading staff would a good idea.
Especially with the kind of things I have a tendency to do when I'm on the river.

So does anyone had any opinions/experience of what works best or is a better type ie solid/telescopic etc.
I'm not sure what I'd put my faith in beyond a strong stick so any help would be appreciated.

It's a funny thing realizing just how dangerous a situation can be after all these years.

Cheers

sandy

Iain Cameron

Re: Wading staffs
« Reply #1 on: 04/04/2014 at 08:36 »
So does anyone had any opinions/experience of what works best or is a better type ie solid/telescopic etc.

hi Sandy

I have an Airflo telescopic - no probs wth it so far. Strong elastic within, so it unfolds itself and locks smartly into position. It has adjustable top section so you can set the height just right. A neoprene case with a loop that goes on your wading belt or similar.

I like that it's there when I need it, and can be reasonably tucked away when not required. Definitely a good thing to have for occasions when you get literally outtta yer depth!

link - http://www.airflofishing.com/airflo-waders-wading-staff.cfm

cheers
i,

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 04/04/2014 at 09:15 »
Hi Sandy,

I have two, one is a solid weighted thing for when I really need a staff forevery step and I'm likely to need it all day. generally this is reserved for salmon fishing.  For general use and emergencies I have a pop up Orvis staff on my wader belt that I use, never get in a river without one.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 04/04/2014 at 09:30 »
I picked up a fold out one made by Sierra. Same principle as all the other ones. Found that mine "oscilates" in the current, making it unstable!

Going to get a solid, weighted one for safe wading....or stick to the shallows!

Andy Wren

« Reply #4 on: 04/04/2014 at 11:27 »
The nice heavy sharpes one peice has been my go to staff ever since Falkus sourced me one back in the eighties ,have flirted with all kinds of foldy ones and do not trust them at all !

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 04/04/2014 at 16:49 »

I have two, one is a solid weighted thing for when I really need a staff forevery step and I'm likely to need it all day. generally this is reserved for salmon fishing.  For general use and emergencies I have a pop up Orvis staff on my wader belt that I use, never get in a river without one.

Ben sums it up perfectly, Sandy.  :z16

keep in mind that most foldable models can/will very easily come apart at what's usually a bad moment... should the tip be caught in either muck or stones etc when is lifted for the next step. best to coordinate stepping/stick movement differently than with a solid piece.

as Ben, for me the solid goes for just about anywhere and the foldable for times when i don't expect to need it.
cheers,
marc

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 04/04/2014 at 16:56 »
A friend has one which collapses into 4 pieces. The top one slides up and locks with a spring pin. The internal cord is steel wire so theres no way it can pull apart which mine does at all the most inappropriate moments.  Not sure who makes it though.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 04/04/2014 at 17:14 »
Cheers guys :z18

Backs up what i was thinking, 1 piece is the way for me. I'd rather have the security even if it is awkward to carry about.

Now all i have to do is find one i like :z6 and be careful in the meantime :roll

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 04/04/2014 at 23:55 »
Sandy,

I have several one piece solid ones and they are a pain in the butt in fast water. Steven bought me a Simms foldy one and apart from the fact that it needed a rubber stopper on the bottom to quiet it down it is extremely strong and fits in a pouch and I now use it all the time salmon fishing and do not feel that it is at a disadvantage over the one piece ones. Maybe I should have taken it trout fishing last week on the Deveron and it would have saved me a Drooking.

If you want I can lend it to you so that you can road test it versus a solid one to see what you think.

Eddie.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 05/04/2014 at 10:41 »
Cheers Eddie

The Simms one looks a bit pricey to me :shock would hate to really like it :z7
I'll let you know if i change my mind :z18

But i'm swinging towards the Snowbee telescopic one, to see how i get on.

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 07/04/2014 at 07:28 »
The Simms one looks a bit pricey to me :shock would hate to really like it :z7

£500 on a rod for pleasure but not £100+ to potentially save a life?

(Sorry, just back from a weeks safety trainig...but still a valid point :) )

Andy Finlay

« Reply #11 on: 07/04/2014 at 11:53 »
I've one of the snowbee telescopic ones and can't complain, nice weight to it and when extended stays that way. Had one of the cheaper folding ones before and not very good, too light. Could of done with it yesterday and wouldn't have had a soaking left arm :cry

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 17/04/2014 at 11:34 »
I went to the tackle shop in Forres last week.

Nice to go into a shop and actually see stuff, not convinced on telescopic or folding ones, think i'm a bit heavy :z7
So went for a traditional wooden stick, with a weighted end and a nice soft edged piece of cut antler on the top, he had plenty to choose from so i picked one that i couldn't stab myself with and one that was the right height and felt good in the hand. :z16

Been using it all week, don't know why i never did this before, i can now find my way much better across the river, and feel far more secure, its great for checking the depth of where you are going and so far i've had no issues with the line getting tangled, so overall very happy :z12

Thanks for all the advice, but nothing beats going out and trying things :z18

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 17/04/2014 at 11:46 »
Great stuff Sandy :z16

I used to have a one piece one, but I can't remember what I did with it ..... seem to remember giving it to Kev Danby or somebody as I had little use for it at Haddo. Must get another one :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Djordje Andjelkovic

« Reply #14 on: 17/04/2014 at 12:54 »
hi Sandy

I have an Airflo telescopic - no probs wth it so far. Strong elastic within, so it unfolds itself and locks smartly into position. It has adjustable top section so you can set the height just right. A neoprene case with a loop that goes on your wading belt or similar.

I like that it's there when I need it, and can be reasonably tucked away when not required. Definitely a good thing to have for occasions when you get literally outtta yer depth!

link - http://www.airflofishing.com/airflo-waders-wading-staff.cfm

cheers
i,

me to, and I am using it about 4 years.. Working perfect :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com