Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Vice for going on my holidays
« on: 30/03/2014 at 19:10 »
Chaps,

I've got a few quid kicking about, and want to buy a new vice.  Ideally one that packs down into a case or similar to take on holidays with me.  Two conditions it must be a pedastal and it must be able to rotate. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Matt

Liam Stephen

Re: Vice for going on my holidays
« Reply #1 on: 30/03/2014 at 19:11 »
The Anvil Apex  :z16

Liam

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: 30/03/2014 at 19:18 »
Matt,
depends how much dosh you have. The Anvil is fairly compact an excellent vice for the money. If you want a travel vice in a case with all the tools as well then the Marco Polo by C&F is worth a look albeit it is quite expensive. The Anvil is a little more robust and carries a lifetime warranty. I have used both and the Anvil will take more abuse but for travelling only and occasional use the Marco Polo is a pretty cool piece of kit that fits into a case the size of a fly box.

Eddie. :z18

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 30/03/2014 at 19:33 »
Thanks guys I'll take a look.  The anvil looks really good and so does the Marco Polo!  Arrrgh decisions.  Will anybody say anything if I buy them both?!? :oops

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 30/03/2014 at 19:34 »
Just seen the price tag for the Marco Polo!  You appear to forget I've just bought a new house and had a bairn (not me exactly!) Eddie!

Matt

Liam Stephen

« Reply #5 on: 30/03/2014 at 20:28 »
Matt,

The Anvil Atlas would be another option for you. Its a little more expensive than the Apex I'm not to sure why though...

:z18
Liam

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 30/03/2014 at 23:56 »
Matt,

I did say that the Marco Polo was somewhat expensive. What you need to do is wait until the bairn grows up and gets a job and then he can buy you one from his newly found disposable income.

This is how I managed to get mine.

Thank you Steven.

Buying a new house and having bairns was a long time ago and you are right money was a lot tighter back then. The other vices mentioned will provide you with years of service.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 01/04/2014 at 07:31 »
Matt,

The Anvil Atlas would be another option for you. Its a little more expensive than the Apex I'm not to sure why though...

Liam

Because the Apex is conventional and the Atlas is rotary...bearings and more metal :)

I have the Apex and have had for some 10 years now. I looked at a few much more expensive vices at Christmas and decided to keep the Apex. Nothing wrong with it al all. Having said that...I may buy the Atlas for my pike tubes.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #8 on: 01/04/2014 at 08:09 »
Thanks for that Rob. You learn something new everyday  :z16

Liam

Andy Finlay

« Reply #9 on: 01/04/2014 at 08:19 »
Matt,

Possibly not as robust as the Anvil ones but might be an option.

http://www.caimore.co.uk/direct/product_info.php/products_id/126/osCsid/dcb766f50625281d65919a6ef049b101

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 01/04/2014 at 08:28 »
Matt,

I did say that the Marco Polo was somewhat expensive. What you need to do is wait until the bairn grows up and gets a job and then he can buy you one from his newly found disposable income.

This is how I managed to get mine.

Thank you Steven.

Buying a new house and having bairns was a long time ago and you are right money was a lot tighter back then. The other vices mentioned will provide you with years of service.

You are most welcome  :z16 To be fair I think I may have received ever so slightly more than I have given over the years  :X2

Steven.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #11 on: 01/04/2014 at 09:10 »

I'm just going to get it with an advance from his pocket money!  Things aren't that bad Eddie but I think Mrs Henderson might have something to say when she sees it arrive with the price ticket on it! Hope things are progressing well for you and the Mrs!

AndyF that looks very interesting indeed.  I might just give that a try, I like the look of the travel case too!

Cheers

Matt

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com