Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Salmon fly origin.
« on: 06/03/2014 at 15:15 »
I found a salmon pattern called "The Silver Roach" in an old book.  Its a Spey/Dee style fly, think Akrord, but with a bronze mallard wing, all black body with wide silver ribbing and a grey heron hackle. There are no JC eyes.

I am interested to find out if it is indeed a Dee/Spey fly or if it is a fly from elsewhere but tied in that style.

Not had any luck online and the book just had a coloured plate and nothing else.

Cheers

Mike Thornton

Re: Salmon fly origin.
« Reply #1 on: 06/03/2014 at 16:49 »
Hi Rob,
The fly you describe could well be The Silver Reeach. It is described in a book by a Mr Knox called Autumns On The Spey[1872]. Full details of the dressing and history are contained in Mikael Frodin's book of Classic Salmon Flies,1991, page 95.
Hope this helps.
Regards.....Mike T.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 07/03/2014 at 10:17 »
Many thanks for that. The book deffinately had Roach, but it would not be the first time a book has had a miss spelling.

I will see if I can get hold of the book.

many thanks.

Mike Thornton

« Reply #3 on: 08/03/2014 at 11:27 »
Hi Rob,
Your queries got me thinking and I found that there is plenty of info on THE SILVER REEACH/RIACH on the internet. www.feathersfliesandphantoms.co.uk/spey flies, shows an excellent picture of a Silver Reeach tied by Bob Fransden.

Regards.....Mike T.

« Reply #4 on: 18/03/2014 at 08:42 »
Hi not sure that link worked try this one :

http://www.feathersfliesandphantoms.co.uk/spey_flies_49.html

What's the book Rob?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 18/03/2014 at 09:21 »
Thank you Redfish/Scottishtout....

....the Silver Reeach does appear to be the same fly as the Silver Roach. The broad silver tinsel was what gives it away as well as the orange butt.

I can't remember the name of the book, it was something like "The Victorian Sporting Gentleman"..mostly shooting and killing things with a few pages on fishing.

Many thanks for the info and link. I was wondering if the fly had been tied to represent a small Roach as i know roach were "spun" on the Tay and Dee in years gone by so was wondering if the Spey had seen a few in its time and if this fly was dressed as a copy. Seems not.

Many thanks again.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com